Built at the end of the 17th century on the site of the old village church according to the wishes of the Count of Avaux Jean-Jacques de Mesmes. Of an extravagant form, designed by a talented architect: the Dominican friar François Romain and by Fleury, an architect who lived on the spot, the shell was completed in 1683. The church was completed, received and blessed in 1685. A very original plan which is compared to the shape of a viol. Entirely built in brick, its architecture with colonnades, domes and cupolas is truly audacious. None of the walls of the building follow a straight line.
Zlatá Koruna Monastery was founded in 1263 by King Ottokar II of Bohemia as an antagonist of the Rosenberg family monastery in Vyšší Brod. The construction of the monastery began at the end of the 13th century, continued in the 1330s and was completed in the years 1360-1370. The church was given a Baroque appearance after 1663 and was restored in the years 1839-1841. In 1785 the monastic community was abolished, but the building was restored several times during the 20th century and in 1960 it was reopened as a monument open to the public.
The Basilica of the Visitation is a baroque church built between 1715 and 1723. The basilica stands on a hill of Wambierzyce, often called "Silesian Jerusalem". In the 12th century, a miraculous figure of the Mother of God was placed there, bringing many pilgrims. From 1263, a wooden church is built on the hill.
The Abbey of St Sixtus in Westvleteren was founded in 1831. First dependent on Westmalle Abbey, Saint-Sixte was elevated to the rank of an abbey in 1871. This abbey, inhabited by Trappist monks, is famous for its brewery founded in 1838.
St. Mary's Church was built from 1326 to 1364 and belonged to the Order of St. Mary. The interior of the church was only furnished in the second half of the 15th century. In the 16th century the Protestants took possession of the church. After the invasion of the Russian army on March 7, 1945, the church was destroyed. The Franciscan Order rebuilt the church until the 1950s. Today, the Catholic community uses the church.
The church of St. Vitus was built in the 14th century in the Gothic style. As the old church built in 1309 had become too small for the growing population of the Rosenberg residence, a larger church was built. Thus, the present building was largely constructed between 1407 and 1438. It was given a Baroque appearance in 1725-1726.
The archives of this church mention a parish church from 1128, built on an old Carolingian foundation and property of the Marmoutier convent. Part of the old Church collapsed on July 22, 1787 during an earthquake. It was therefore completely demolished in 1807, and rebuilt immediately. The new Church, without any particular style, was consecrated in 1809.
Salem Abbey, founded in 1136, was one of the most important Cistercian monasteries in Germany. The abbey soon became very prosperous, with large and magnificent structures erected in three different courtyards and a splendid church built between 1182 and 1311. Other foundations such as Raitenhauslach Abbey (1143), Wettingen Abbey or Stella Maris (1227) and Königsbronn Abbey (1303) were founded from this abbey. A fire in 1697 almost completely destroyed the abbey, which was immediately rebuilt in the baroque style. In 1803, the monastery was abolished and the buildings were used by the Grand Dukes of Baden, who united them in the Salem Castle complex.
Talbot House was built in the 18th century. In 1911, the house was bought by a local banker who left the house after it was bombed by a German shell in 1915. Soon thereafter, the house was rented to the 6th division of the British army. Chaplain Philip “Tubby” Clayton decided to use the building as a soldier’s club. At first it was called “Church House” but the eventual name became “Talbot House”, after Gilbert Talbot, a young man who died on 30th July 1915. Chaplain Clayton was in charge of the clubhouse. He made sure that it felt like a ‘home away from home’, regardless your rank or status. On the attic, he made a church where soldiers could find peace, quiet, pray and go to mass.
Church belonging to the group of fortified churches of Thiérache. It is the oldest example of fortification using brick.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut