The Church of Saint-Gonéry is located in Saint-Connec, in Brittany. The current building, built of schist and granite, replaced the old church at the end of the eighteenth century, under the oversight of the Guerlogoden family. The first stone of the original church was laid in 1784. Inside the church, there are the emblems of the Guerlogoden and Rohan families. An eighteenth century polychrome wooden altarpiece adorns the chevet, and the altarpiece of the high altar represents Saint Connec.
From the 12th century this has been a place of daily prayer, and an extraordinary building, created for the glory of god.
Notre-Dame de Vic is a real treasure: its architecture as well as its furniture is quite remarkable for this sector of the Pyrenees. The building shelters marvels of different artistic times. It is the largest and most imposing Romanesque church in Couserans, after the lower cathedral of Saint-Lizier. It is also the only one to have a basilica plan. The construction of the building began at the end of the 11th century, as evidenced by the bedside, devoid of ornamentation, typical of early Romanesque art.
St. Joseph's Church is a Catholic church whose construction began in 1936. It was built in the neo-Romanesque style and was designed and built by the architect Carlo Paržik (1857-1942). The main marble altar of the church is a gift of Pope Pius XII.
The Synagogue in Bristol is an Ashkenazi synagogue built in 1870-71 by architects Hyman Henry Collins and Samuel Charles Fripp. The synagogue was rebuilt in 1921. This brick building still serves as a synagogue.
The Church of Sainte-Marie-Madeleine is located in Saint-Guen, in Brittany. The church is built in the shape of a Latin cross. The choir and the nave were built in 1610, the sacristy dates from 1777 and the entire frame of the church was rebuilt in 1785. The transept is formed by two chapels, separated from the nave by two arches. The building houses important heritage objects, with statues dating from the seventeenth and eighteenth century, including a beautiful Piéta sculpture.
The Ali Pasha Mosque is a complex built from 1560 to 1561. The mosque restored in 1894 was severely affected by Serb attacks during the Bosnian war. The building was finally rebuilt in 2004 and added to the list of national monuments in 2005.
Standing forlorn, with only a farm for company, St Michael's is a precious little building. Although restored in 1877 and built of a patchwork of greenstone and brick, the church is essentially Norman.
The Church of St. Vincent de Paul in Sarajevo was built in November 1883 in the neo-gothic style. Attached to the church is a monastery built at the same time for a women's congregation. During the siege of Sarajevo by the Serbs, the church was damaged by grenades. The roof was damaged, as well as Gabriel's painting Jurkić.
19th-century church noted for its landmark, 3-spired facade & interior paintings by Uros Prediz.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut