In Crissay-sur-Manse, in one of the most beautiful villages of the Indre-et-Loire, is the Church of Saint Maurice, which dates from the 15th-16th centuries and was built by the noble family of Turpin. Their coat of arms and their motto are still visible in the flamboyant Gothic nave. The fire of Catherine du Bellay, wife of Jacques II Turpin, is in the current sacristy. Since 1926, the Church of Sant Maurice has been classified as a historic monument.
The church of St Saturnin was built between the 10th and 11th centuries as a modest place of worship. It was not until the 15th and 16th centuries that it became an important place of worship, when the church acquired a miraculous statue of the Virgin, making it an important stop on the Way of St. James. At the beginning of the 16th century, Queen Anne of Brittany undertook reconstruction work on the church, but this was interrupted when she died in 1514. During the Wars of Religion, Protestants set fire to the building's roof structure in 1568. A reconstruction project at the beginning of the 16th century was set up and completely changed the style of the church with the creation of groin vaults between 1570 and 1578.
Building built between 1926 and 1932. It is intended to honour the memory of teachers and students who died during the First World War.
Built in the 13th century style with limestone infill, it consists of a nave with shed-covered aisles, a projecting two-bay transept and a choir surrounded by a walkway opening on to two sacristies and a polygonal hipped covered chapel. Gargoyles in the shape of fantastic animals adorn the top of the walls.
Saint-Gervais church is located in the heart of the town of Falaise. Its construction probably began shortly after the conquest of England in 1066, at the instigation of William the Conqueror, and was completed during the reign of Henry I Beauclerc (1100-1135). The original Romanesque building was inspired by the Trinity Church of the Abbaye-aux-Dames in Caen, on which it depended. Only a few elements remain in the south wall of the nave, the lantern tower and the west façade. Excavations carried out in 1953, showed that the Romanesque choir had the appearance of that of Notre-Dame de Guibray, with an apse and two apsidioles. The most interesting Romanesque remains are the capitals with secular themes, from the first four south pillars of the nave.
A high place of Christian pilgrimage, the sanctuary of Pontmain, in Mayenne, came into being following the apparition of the Virgin Mary to the children of the village on 17 January 1871. The imposing neo-gothic style basilica, built in the 19th century near the site of the apparition, houses in its choir beautiful stained glass windows illustrating the Virgin's apparitions in Pontmain, Lourdes and La Salette, as well as scenes from the life of Christ. The Barbedette barn, from which the children saw the Blessed Virgin in 1871, has been converted into a place of prayer and meditation.
The architect of the building was a Benedictine monk, Dom Jules Mellet, associated with his brother, Henri. Both his names can be found in the design of the pulpit and the capitals. The church of Saint-Martin surprises by its size and the width of its nave. It has some very beautiful neo-Romanesque capitals and a large pulpit for preaching, in the style of 19th century creations. The church remains to this day the most important neo-Romanesque building in Ille-et-Vilaine. This church also has large organs and choir organs.
The new glass building has a remarkable architectural asset: it is a link between the Flamboyant Gothic and Renaissance styles. This transition from one style to the other is very visible on the south façade. This one also has a rarity: a beautiful pulpit to preach outside where the preachers of the Counter-Reformation could unleash themselves against the Huguenots... installed in the building opposite, across the street!
The Church of Sainte-Foy is located in Sainte-Foy-de-Montgommery, in Normandy. The lords of the place were the Montgommery, and their tombstones can still be seen in the church. The choir, dedicated to St Foy, from the 13th century, is the oldest part of the church. The nave, built in the sixteenth century, is flanked by a bell tower that was built in the eighteenth century. There is an interesting seventeenth century tabernacle.
The Church of Saint-Pierre of Saint-Pierre-de-Cernières, Normandy was built in the twelfth century. The building is composed of a single nave and a square bell tower. The nave, rebuilt in the nineteenth century, ends with a raised choir. The choir was rebuilt in the 16th century and once again in the19th century.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut