The Protestant church in the town of Balingen was built as a late Gothic church as an extension of the St. Nicholas' Chapel, first mentioned in the 14th century. It is said to have been raised to the status of a parish church around 1516. In 1760, the church tower was fitted with a sundial by Philipp Matthäus Hahn, and the great city fire of 1809 also affected the interior of the church. In 1861-62, all the keystones were repainted, as well as the paintings from 1613.
The Synagogue in Besançon is an Ashkenazi synagogue completed in 1869 by architect Pierre Marnotte. This Neo-Moorish stone building still serves as a synagogue.
The Catholic parish church of the Holy Spirit was built in 1898-99 according to the plans of the Stuttgart architect Ulrich Pohlhammer. The neo-Gothic interior of the church was redesigned in 1998-99 with concentric seating and a new altar.
The Balingen Cemetery Church was built in the 11th century and was originally the parish church of the village. In the 14th century, the church was demolished and the church that still exists today was built. Parts of the previous Romanesque building have been preserved in the tower and the nave. In 1912 the cemetery church was renovated. It revealed frescoes that the Brotherhood of San Sebastian had painted in the choir of the church.
The Margrethausen Monastery is a former Franciscan monastery founded in 1338 by the local lord Conrad von Tierberg. During the Thirty Years' War, the village and the monastery church were largely destroyed. The monastery church was rebuilt as early as 1707 and the consecration of the new monastery building took place in 1723, so that monastic life could continue. The monastery was dissolved in 1811 and the monastery buildings were then used as a school, teachers' residence and for local administration. Of the four former wings of the monastery, only the east wing, which directly adjoins the parish church, remains today.
The priory Romainmôtier was built on the oldest Romanesque building in Switzerland, a monastery of the 5th century. The current building was built from 990 to 1028 as a Cluniac abbey. From the sixteenth century and the spread of Protestantism, the priory lost considerable importance and was partially abandoned. Restored in the 20th century, the priory is now a Protestant church.
Salem Abbey, founded in 1136, was one of the most important Cistercian monasteries in Germany. The abbey soon became very prosperous, with large and magnificent structures erected in three different courtyards and a splendid church built between 1182 and 1311. Other foundations such as Raitenhauslach Abbey (1143), Wettingen Abbey or Stella Maris (1227) and Königsbronn Abbey (1303) were founded from this abbey. A fire in 1697 almost completely destroyed the abbey, which was immediately rebuilt in the baroque style. In 1803, the monastery was abolished and the buildings were used by the Grand Dukes of Baden, who united them in the Salem Castle complex.
St. Martin's Church has existed for over a thousand years, but the present building actually dates from 1905-06, when the old church was largely replaced by a new building influenced by Art Nouveau. The heating and the interior have been modernised and renovated in recent years.
The Synagogue in Ingwiller is an Ashkenazi synagogue completed in 1822. The synagogue has been restored in 1870, 1891-1892 and 1913 (for its cupola). This Baroque stone building still serves as a synagogue.
The St. Lawrence Church is the Reformed-Protestant parish church of the city of St. Gallen. It is estimated that the construction of the first church took place in the middle of the 12th century. The church was for centuries the political, religious and social centre of the city of St. Gallen as a meeting place for citizens of the city. The church is classified as a national protected building.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut