The Collegiate Church of Saints Peter and Guidon is a Brabant Gothic style church built in the 14th century. The first church was in Romanesque style, as can be seen in the crypt (11th century). The present building was built between 1350 and 1527, the square tower dating from 1517. Jean van Ruysbroeck, architect (with others) of the Brussels City Hall tower, was responsible for the work between 1479 and 1485. Between 1843 and 1847, the church underwent serious restoration work under the direction of the architect Jules-Jacques Van Ysendyck. In 1898, the square tower was surmounted by a spire.
The brick neo-Gothic St. Peter's Church from 1878-1880 is a design by architect Charles Demaeght.
The Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation is in neo-Romanesque style with Art Deco influences, built according to the plans of the architect Camille Damman. In 1914, work began but was interrupted due to the outbreak of World War I. The church was built in 1914. In the meantime, a temporary church was built in 1915, rue Joseph Stallaert n°6, by the same architect. The Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation was not completed and consecrated until 1934.
La Cambre abbey was founded around 1200 by Gisele, a Brussels lady who wanted to establish a Cistercian monastery in the village of Ixelles. The abbey takes the name Camera beatae Mariae, which will finally give "the Cambre". In 1796, by decree of the Republic, la Cambre is closed and its property sold as national property. The abbey is restored in the first two decades of the 20th century.
The church of Saint-Augustin was built in 1935. The church is an example of Art Deco religious architecture in Belgium. The architects Léon Guiannotte and André Watteyne were commissioned to draw up the plans for the church. Most of the work was carried out in two years (1933-1935). In the 1980s, the building deteriorated badly, but thanks to the new interest in art deco in Brussels, the church escaped demolition (requested by the engineers of the Brussels metro) and was classified as a national heritage site in 1988.
The construction of Notre-Dame du Sacré-Coeur church was requested by the neighbourhood's residents and built from 1925 to 1928 by architect Édmond Serneels. Designed in a neo-Romanesque style, the proportions were changed during the second phase of construction; due to lack of money, the length of the building was reduced.
St. Henri's church is a neo-gothic church built between 1908 and 1911 according to the plans of Julien Walckiers (1870-1929), inspired by the Dominican convent of Ghent. The church has the particularity of having its buttresses inside the building rather than outside. It is dedicated to the Holy Duke of Bavaria, Henry II, Roman-Germanic Emperor of the 11th century.
The church of Saint-Jean Berchmans is a neo-Romanesque religious building which is part of the large complex of the Collège Saint-Michel. Built from 1908 to 1912, the church is dedicated to Saint John Berchmans, a young Belgian Jesuit, who was canonized in 1888. The architect Joseph Prémont was inspired by the Rhineland Romanesque basilica Saint-Servais in Maastricht (18th century). The façade is an apse flanked by two towers. Two Romanesque portals open on either side of the false apse. The liturgical and pastoral services are provided by Jesuit fathers.
The church of Saint-Denis is a religious building whose oldest foundations date back to the 11th century, around the time of the founding of the village of Forest. The present building, which includes the sanctuary dedicated to Saint Alène, dates from the 13th century and is in Gothic style. The bell tower was raised by two floors in the 18th century. In 1925-1926, an important restoration of the ensemble was carried out by Chrétien Veraart, restoring to the building a luminosity that it had lost.
The abbey of Forest, founded in 1106, lived from its glory days until the 15th century when the abbey was emptied of its inhabitants as a result of wars and epidemics. It was only in the 18th century that the abbey rose again and was rebuilt in its present form. However, this resurrection was short-lived because the French Revolution suppressed the religious community of the abbey and sold the building. The buildings that survived the dismantling now form a cultural centre for seminars, banquets and exhibitions.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
Church of Saints Simon and Helena