Rapolla Cathedral was first mentioned in 1037 and we know that this first cathedral was destroyed in 1183 when the inhabitants of Melfi attacked Rapolla. The church was immediately rebuilt and completed by Melchiorre da Montalbano in 1253. The Cathedral has also been destroyed or damaged many times by earthquakes (1456, 1694, 1851, 1930 and 1980).
The existence of Oristano Cathedral is documented from 1131 onwards. Restoration work, commissioned by Archbishop Torgotorio of Muru, was carried out in 1228. In 1348, the transept with four chapels was built in Italian Gothic style. The serious state of dilapidation of the cathedral in the first half of the 18th century led to the reconstruction work that resulted in the present building, sparing little of the original Romanesque-Gothic construction.
The chapel Steg has existed in its present form since 1907. The Malbun Peace Chapel has been a popular place of worship for the alpine services since 1951.
The Chapel of Our Lady of the Pénitents, is a thirteenth century church built on a small rocky spur on the edge of the village and fortified castle of Ginasservis in the Var. It has a bell tower comb with two arches, garnished with a bronze bell (eighteenth c) It has a sober and elegant stone facade, and stands on the edge of the cemetery in a landscape of plowing, breeding, forestry and hunting.
The chapel of Saint-Barthélémy is the oldest chapel in Nendaz. The exact date of its construction is not known, but a document from 1447 attests to its existence. Before the construction of the nearby Cleuson dam, it was located in the valley. Built in wood, it was renovated several times, the last time in 1888. In 1951, the dam workers built a new stone chapel on the present site.
The Cathedral of Santa Giusta was completed in 1145, close to an earlier building from the 6th and 7th centuries. The main portal with its relief arch is similar to that of San Frediano in Lucca, but on the other hand, there are no other Tuscan examples of the idiosyncratic arrangement of the facades. The design of the façade and the choir is clearly inspired by Lombard models.
The parish church of St. Primus and Felizian was consecrated in 1876 and renovated from 1953 to 1954 and in 1974. The chapel originally on the site would have been enlarged to become a church in 1122. From 1720 to 1736, a church was built according to the plans of Oswald Stuelebmer and closed in 1858. In 1866 the foundation stone for a new church in neo-gothic style was laid according to the plans of district engineer Pieschel. Jakob Ceconi was responsible for the construction.
The chapel of Planchouet was built by the inhabitants in 1930-31. The work began with the felling of the trees necessary for the construction. The foundations posed problems because the rock had to be exploited. Inside the chapel are the statues of the Virgin Mary, Saint Anthony, Saint Maurice and Saint Nicolas.
The Cathedral of Ales was built in 1708 on a project by the Genoese architect Domenico Spotorno, who also worked on the conversion of the Cathedral of Cagliari in the Baroque style, a church that served as a model for the Cathedral of Ales. In the first half of the twentieth century, the decorations and frescoes of the interior were completed, and recently important restoration work was carried out, which affected the church for about twenty years.
The Cathedral of St. Florin is a neo-Gothic church built from 1869 to 1873. It was built on the site of a small medieval chapel mentioned since the 14th century. the church undertook restorations in 1965-1966.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut