Aldersund church, formerly Aldersund chapel, is a wooden church built in 1971 and designed by architect John Egil Tverdahl.
Ålen Church is a long church dating from 1881 in Holtålen municipality in Trøndelag county. The present church has replaced a stave church from the Middle Ages. Parts of the stave church were used when the neighbouring Haltdalen stave church was rebuilt in a museum in Trondheim at the end of the 1880s. The west portal, leaf and west wall of the Haltdalen Stave church come from the Ålen Stave church.
The Cathedral of Ales was built in 1708 on a project by the Genoese architect Domenico Spotorno, who also worked on the conversion of the Cathedral of Cagliari in the Baroque style, a church that served as a model for the Cathedral of Ales. In the first half of the twentieth century, the decorations and frescoes of the interior were completed, and recently important restoration work was carried out, which affected the church for about twenty years.
This church is one of the oldest in Beauvais, with an edification started in the 11th century and completed in the 13th century. A fire ravaged the church in 1592, then it was restored in the XVIIth, then in the XVIIIth with the reconstruction of the bell tower.
The church in Ålesund was built in stone from 1905. Nordmøre stone was chosen as the material for the church because Ålesund had just suffered a fire in 1904. Frescoes and stained glass by Enevold Thømt.
St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is a Russian orthodox consecrated in 1861. It is the first permanent place of worship for the Russian Orthodox community in Paris. It is under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. The cathedral, including the crypt, has been listed as a historic monument since 1981.
The Alexander Nevsky Cathedral of Sloviansk is an Orthodox cathedral. The church has been the target of shelling due to the ongoing fighting in the region, but the cathedral remains intact.
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is an orthodox cathedral of Neo- Byzantine style built between 1882 and 1912. Comprising five naves and three altars and can hold nearly 10,000 worshipers, it is the largest cathedral on the Balkan Peninsula, one of the largest cathedrals in the Orthodox world and one of the symbols of Sofia.
Aleksander Nevsky Cathedral is a 19th-century Orthodox church. The construction of this sanctuary, based on Russian church architecture, began in 1894 and was completed in 1900. The church was named after Alexander Nevsky (1220-1263), the Prince of Novgorod. When Estonia gained its independence after the First World War, the Estonian authorities wanted to demolish it as it was the symbol of a period of Russian occupation. However, after the Bolshevik revolution, there were a large number of Russian refugees in the capital and the cathedral was not demolished. It was, however, closed by the German authorities who invaded Estonia in 1941. It was only regained its use after Estonia's independence in 1991.
The Ålfoten church is a wooden church built in 1678. There was a medieval wooden church on the site, but it is not known when it was demolished. The medieval cemetery is bounded by cemetery walls to the north, west and south. The present building is constructed of wood, clad on the outside with horizontal panels painted white. The church has no tower, the bell is in the attic and is rung by a ringing rope at the nave entrance door.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut