Remains from the church's early life and history can be seen on the west wall just inside the church. There are fragments from a Saxon cross, an ancient gravestone with scissor markings, as well as remains from a Norman arch and some ancient stained glass from the medieval church.
"Few churches in South Yorkshire contain more that may delay and interest the curious inquirer than this country chapel." So the great historian Joseph Hunter wrote of St Mary's Worsbrough in 1831. Is it true? Come and see for yourself.
St Mary's church stands on the site of much older places of worship. The first documented place of worship here was established by Sir Robert de Rockley in 1412. This was a private chantry chapel.
Situated prominently in the heart of the village, in an area of outstanding natural beauty. St Mary's is the only church actually on the course of Hadrian's Wall. Originally constructed in the late 13th century using stone from Hadrian's wall it is built on the top of a Norman 'Motte and Bailey' and on the site of a Roman milecastle.
St Mary's church has the privilege of nestling close to one the loveliest stretches of the River Thames.
St Mary The Virgin was built in 1762 on the site of a medieval place of worship and pilgrimage. Two headstones by Eric Gill can be found in the churchyard.
Standing in the market place, this is believed to be the third church built on the site. Built in the 13th century, the oldest part is the low tower which is surmounted by a small spirelet that is completely out of proportion with the rest of the building!
The Roman Catholic Church sought to tackle Manchester's deepest troubled area which lay between Deansgate and Albert Square. A church was built in 1794 in Mulberry Street on a site crowded in by intensive poor quality housing on land which had so recently been open meadow and grazing pasture.
Hainton is one of those rare places, a manor that has been in the possession of a single family for much of its recorded the history. The church stands in the grounds of the Hall, which was and still is the home of the Heneage family. The chancel and north chapel contain an unparalleled and virtually unbroken sequence of family monuments dating from the 15th century.
Eastling Church lies southeast of the main street in the centre of the village. The church is set back from the road and is surrounded by mature yew trees (one of which is more than 2,000 years old), with only the spire visible above them.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut