The existence of the Cathedral of Taranto was confirmed in the 7th century, but it was probably demolished to make way for a new cathedral in the 11th century. However, the old construction was not completely replaced: the longitudinal arm, enlarged and lowered, incorporated the nave with the deep apse of the Byzantine church, which remained unchanged; the altar was placed under the dome and the old nave became the transept, which was then cut off from the side naves, leaving a series of small columns that decorated the old construction. In 1713 the Baroque façade was added, the work of the Lecce architect Mauro Manieri.
The Cathedral of Tarquinia was built in 1260 and was elevated to the rank of Cathedral of Corneto (former name of Tarquinia) on 5th December 1435. In the 15th century, it was enlarged by order of Bishop Bartolomeo Vitelleschi, but in 1643 it was destroyed by fire. Rebuilt in a short time, it was then restored in neoclassical style in the nineteenth century according to the plans of Francesco Dasti for the interior and Pietro Magnani for the façade; the intervention, completed in 1874, also involved the enlargement of the structure, with the addition of nine new altars. The church was consecrated in 1879 by the Bishop of Corneto and Civitavecchia Francesco Gandolfi.
The Temple Maggiore was built between 1901 and 1904 on one of the four plots of land obtained through the demolition of parts of the Rome ghetto (1555-1870). In 1889, the competition organized for the design of the new synagogue saw the distinction of Vincenzo Costa and Osvaldo Armanni with building projects mixing Assyrian, Egyptian and above all Greek elements.
The Temple of San Sebastian was built between 1460 and 1529. The building, designed by Leon Battista Alberti (1404-1472) himself, served as the basis for Renaissance reflections on Greek cross-shaped buildings. Restored in 1926, the church is today used as a war memorial for the soldiers who fell in battle for their homeland.
The cathedral of Teramo was built in the Romano-Gothic style between 1158 and 1176. The church was started in 1158, on the order of Bishop Guido II of Teramo, to house the relics of St. Berardo after the destruction of the ancient cathedral of Teramo, Santa Maria Aprutensis, in 1155. In 1331-1335 Bishop Niccolò degli Arcioni had extensively modified the building. The northern part was enlarged to the detriment of the three apses, which were removed. The new building was offset. In the 18th century, the church was modified to adapt it to the Baroque style. The columns and the six Romanesque bays were replaced by two domes, supported by pillars; the naves were lowered, the interior was decorated in stucco and two portals were opened on the sides of the main portal. In the 1930s, a restoration was carried out to restore the church to its original medieval appearance.
Originally built before the year 1000, Termini Imerese Cathedral was rebuilt in 1604 in a larger form. In 1802, the barrel vaults of the central nave and transept were decorated, as well as the walls of the large central chapel.
The cathedral of Termoli was built in 1037 on the remains of what was once a pagan temple dedicated to Castor and Pollux. The present building was constructed between the 12th and 13th centuries. The cathedral underwent some changes after the earthquake of 1464 and the Turkish attack of 1566. During further works in 1760 and 1962, the relics of St Bass and St Timothy, the patron saints of the city, were found.
Local tradition tells us that the first cathedral of Terni, corresponding to the crypt, was built on the remains of a pagan Roman temple by the holy bishop Anastasius of Terni in the 6th century. In the 9th century, renovation work was carried out on the crypt and the cathedral, which was resumed in the 12th century. Little remains of the Romanesque cathedral today, due to the modernisation work carried out in the 16th and 17th centuries according to the tastes of the time.
Terracina Cathedral was built between the 5th and 6th centuries using what was left of an ancient Roman temple with five naves in the city's forum. The building has undergone various interventions and restorations, including that of the 11th century, that of the 13th century and, above all, the restoration of the 18th century, which reduced the church from five naves to three with the construction of side chapels and the barrel vaulted ceiling in place of the Romanesque farmhouses.
The Basilica of Sant'Andrea delle Fratte was built between 1653 and 1662 but a church already existed on the site in the 11th century. The Baroque reconstruction of the 17th century is the work of Francesco Borromini, but the façade dates back to 1862. The church is the place where the famous conversion of Alphonse Ratisbonne (1814-1848) took place.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut