The church in Lakselv is the reconstruction, in 1963, of a 19th-century chapel. In the first half of the 1860s, the people of Lakselv built a church on a voluntary basis. The church building was named Lakselv Chapel and was consecrated on October 2, 1865. The Lakselv Chapel underwent extensive reconstruction and renovation in the second half of the 1920s and was consecrated again in 1930. In 1944, the Lakselv Chapel was burnt down by the German occupation forces as part of the "scorched earth tactics".
The Lakselvbukt church is a wooden church built from 1983. The church has an altarpiece painted by Karl Erik Harr showing the resurrection.
Laksevåg church is a long church from 1874-75. The church is built with three naves, a tower to the north and a one-aisle choir, terminated by the courtyard, to the south, according to a design by architect Peter Andreas Blix. This project was edited by the architect Theodor August Fromholz.
Lala Paša Mosque is a domed mosque built in 1577-78. It has a sundial, the work of the famous muezzin, travel writer and astronomer Hadži-Jusuf Livnjak. Next to the mosque is a spacious harem with rarely preserved tombstones. In 2003, in addition to the renovated and restored mosque, an abdesthana (small closed room for ablutions) was built.
The Laleli Mosque, built between 1760 and 1763, was destroyed by fire in 1783 and rebuilt immediately afterwards. Most of the original complex, of which the mosque was a part, was destroyed by fire (1911) and due to urban planning decisions. The granite and marble mosque has a Baroque style.
The Lama Tzong Khapa Institute, founded in 1977, is one of the largest Buddhist centres in Europe. It is an international school for the study and practice of Buddhism, affiliated to the Italian Buddhist Union and the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition FPMT. The building consists of a Tuscan manor house with a tower and is surrounded by several hectares of land with a grove and olive trees. Extensive restoration work has been carried out in order to occupy the building.
The Lambertseter Church in Oslo is a modernist church built in 1966 by the architect Harald Hille.
Lamego Cathedral was built from 1129 in the Gothic style. It has retained its original square tower, but the rest of the architecture reflects the changes made in the 16th and 18th centuries, including a Renaissance cloister with a dozen well-proportioned arches.
The Lami Mosque, also known as the New Mahalla Mosque, was built in 1689 by Haxhi Alija. In the catastrophic earthquake of 1979, the mosque was completely destroyed and did not function for several years. However, thanks to the activity of the Islamic community and the citizens of the city of Ulcinj, the mosque could be rebuilt on the same foundations with a magnificent minaret.
Lammi Church is a medieval Lutheran church dedicated to St. Catherine, built between 1490 and 15103. Until 1918 the interior of the church was made of wood. The wooden church was destroyed by a fire on April 29, 1918, during the Finnish Civil War. The pulpit, most of the archives and the bell tower were destroyed, leaving only the grey stone foundations. The reconstruction of the church and bell tower was designed by Usko Nyström (1861-1925).
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut