Explore Religious Heritage Across Europe

Here you can search for a building to visit. You can use the map find destinations, or you can use the filters to search for a building based upon what different criteria.

Refine search

Tønjum Church

Tønjum Church

Lærdal, NO

Tønjum church is a wooden church dating from 1832. It has an intermediate form between a cross church and a long church. The old church, which was a 13th-century stave church, was demolished in 1823. The reason why it took nine years between the loss of the old church and the construction of the new one is that the parish priest thought that a new church had to be built in the middle of the village. Although almost everyone disagreed with him, he stuck to his position until his death in 1831.

Cathedral Basilica of Eger

Cathedral Basilica of Eger

Eger, HU

The Cathedral Basilica of Eger, built between 1831 and 1836 according to the plans of József Hild in the classicist style, is one of the largest churches in Hungary. It replaced a medieval church, which served as a mosque in Turkish times, and was demolished in the 1820s. The basilica was fully completed in the 1950s, when, among other things, the frescoes on the church ceiling were made.

Brandval Church

Brandval Church

Brandval, NO

The Brandval church is a wooden church dating from 1651 and is the only 17th-century church in Norway where period wooden vaults are preserved. It was given a Gothic Revival style when it was rebuilt in 1876-77 and was given a pulpit and an altarpiece from the 1600s during another restoration in 1965-67.

Eger Minaret

Eger Minaret

Eger, HU

The Eger Minaret, probably built at the beginning of the 17th century, is the northernmost Ottoman monument in Europe and the highest and best preserved of the three intact minarets in Hungary. During 91 years of Turkish rule, a total of ten minarets were erected in Eger, but only one remains. The mosque that was attached to the minaret was transformed into a Catholic church dedicated to St. Joseph after the Turkish domination, then into a hospital in the 18th century, and finally demolished in 1841. A church was built in its place.

Kyrkjebø Church

Kyrkjebø Church

Kyrkjebø, NO

Kyrkjebø church is a long church dating from 1869, designed by the architect Christian Christie, who was inspired by the stave churches.

Minorite Church

Minorite Church

Eger, HU

The Church of St. Anthony of Padua, known as the Minorite Church, is the second-largest church in the city after the Cathedral. To the east is the former Minorite monastery, built between 1773 and 1975, and to the west is the town hall. The former monastery now houses St. Hedwig High School for girls. The rococo church was built between 1758 and 1767, probably according to the plans of the architect Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer, although some attribute the artistic plans to Matthias Gerl.

Brickebergskyrkans Forsamling

Orebro, SE

The parish has been here since 1983 when the premises were completed. But at the start in 1935 and until 1983, the church premises were on Trudgardsgatan in central Orebro, and then the name was Sionforsamlingen

Co-cathedral of Ferentino

Co-cathedral of Ferentino

Ferentino, IT

The co-cathedral of Ferentino stands on the site of the city's ancient acropolis. The primitive church dates back to the early Middle Ages, built at the time of Pope Paschal I (817-824) on the remains of an ancient Roman temple. It was renovated and restored inside by Bishop Augustine at the beginning of the 12th century. On 29 December 1108, on completion of the work, the relics of the Roman martyr Ambrose, the patron saint of Ferentino, were solemnly transferred there.

Tisleidalen Church

Tisleidalen Church

Tisleidalen, NO

Tisleidalen church is a wooden church that was built in 1958. The church has a rectangular plan and was designed by architect Karl Stenersen. Tisleidalen church has a rectangular nave with a narrower and lower choir with a straight end to the east.

Sankt Nicolai kyrka

Sankt Nicolai kyrka

Örebro, SE

The construction of St. Nicholas' church began in the second half of the 13th century but was probably not completed until the mid-14th century. The oldest parts have Romanesque elements. The church acquired its present appearance and spire during the major restoration of 1863-1900, which emphasised the Gothic style of the church. St. Nicholas Church was originally called Örebro Church because there was only one church in Örebro before the turn of the century.

Be inspired

What is Religiana?

Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!