The monastery is the only establishment of the Carthusian order in Auvergne. Today in ruins, it nevertheless preserves particularly interesting remains and constitutes an essential milestone in the understanding of the evolution of the architecture of the Carthusian order.
The Groate Church, built in 1844, replaced a brick church that was originally built around 1530. Only the church tower from 1669 was maintained. In 1979 the Alde Fryske Tsjerken Foundation took over the church. The building has undergone radical restoration and has been in use since 1980 as a cultural center. A pilgrim information center has been established in the porch since 2011.
This church dedicated to Saint Austremoine, the first bishop of Auvergne who evangelized the region, was part of the monastery of Saint-Austremoine and was built by Father Gilbert, then consecrated in 938 by Bernard, forty-fifth bishop of Auvergne. The present church dates from the end of the 11th and beginning of the 12th century, probably around 1130.
The church of Sainte-Dévote was built as a chapel before 1070 near a cave in the Gaumates Valley, where, according to tradition, the body of Sainte Dévote, patron saint of Monaco, was buried. The chapel has undergone successive restorations and enlargements, notably in 1476, 1606, 1637 and 1870. The present church was built under Prince Charles III (1856-1889) and was inaugurated on 25 January 1871.
The Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary is a neo-Gothic parish church built in 1895-1898. The church was built with the support of John II, Prince of Liechtenstein (1858-1929), under the direction of the architect Karel Weinbrenner. As a model for the construction of the church, Weinbrenner chose the Viennese Church of Our Lady of Victory by the architect Friedrich Schmidt.
Saint-Sauveur de Les-Andelys was built in 1225, on the ruins of a women's abbey of 511. It is, therefore, the oldest attested monastery in Upper Normandy. Works took place until the 17th century, followed by restoration in the 19th century.
The Saint-Martin church is located in Nohant-en-Graçay, in the Center-Val de Loire region. From its twelfth century Romanesque origin, there remains only the tower and thick pillars, decorated with figurations of animals and heads on the capitals. The single paneled nave is followed by a vaulted choir on intersecting primitive ribs.
The church was rebuilt after an earthquake destroyed the nave in 1467. The choir and the transept were destroyed by the army of Charles V in 1537, and the transept was never rebuilt. The vault of the nave was rebuilt at a lower level. Reconstruction continued until the 17th century. In 1869, the aisle was restored. The first building was the abbey church dedicated to St Walloy, founded towards the end of the 9th century. Following the translation of the remains of Saint Saulve to Montreuil, in 1111, the abbey was then reconstructed and took the name that we know today.
The Pleterje Charterhouse, is a monastery of the Order of Carthusian founded in 1403. Pleterje is the last established Slovenian charterhouse, the only one still in activity.
The Cathedral of Our Immaculate Lady of Monaco is a Romano-Byzantine building erected from 1875 to 1903. It is the burial place of the royal family of Monaco.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut