The Church of Saint-Georges is located in Saint-Georges-de-la-Rivière, in Normandy. The flat chevet building was built in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, and later reworked. This remarkable construction was created as a lookout point to watch the sea, providing defense, and this is shown by the turret, in which there are loopholes and a guard room. There is also a caquetoire on the south facade. There are also several classified objects including a carved piece representing St. George slaying the dragon.
The abbey of Nôtre-Dame-de-Ré, called Les Châteliers, is a former Cistercian monastery, now in ruins. The abbey was founded between 1150 and 1190 as a daughter monastery of the main abbey of Pontigny. The present ruins date from the 14th century. The monastery was first destroyed by an English fleet in 1294 and then rebuilt. A second destruction took place in 1388, a third in 1462. In 1574, the monastery was again ravaged by the Huguenots and then abandoned. The stones were used to build the nearby Fort de la Prée.
The church in Røros, dating from 1784, is known for its large bell tower, which is a well-known symbol of Røros. The exterior of the church is whitewashed with grey details. The construction of the church in Røros was a prestigious project, and it became one of the most beautiful churches in Norway at that time. The altarpiece with a picture of the Last Supper was painted by the drawing teacher Johan Jørgen Lyng in 1782.
The Märcani Mosque, one of the largest mosques in Russia, was one of the symbols of the tolerance granted by Empress Catherine II (1762 - 1996) to non-Christian Russian communities at the end of the 18th century. This mosque remains the historical centre of Tatar-Muslim spirituality. The mosque was built in 1766-1770 and is the first stone mosque built in Kazan after it was taken by Ivan Terrible in 1552. The building was constructed in the tradition of medieval Tatar architecture with a minaret on the roof and forms in the provincial baroque style. In the decoration of the facades and interiors, the architectural decoration of the Petrine Baroque is combined with the decorative motifs of Tatar decorative art.
It was named after Kul Sharif, who was a religious scholar who served there. Kul Sharif died with his numerous students while defending Kazan from Russian forces in 1552. It is believed that the building featured minarets, both in the form of cupolas and tents. Its design was traditional for Volga Bulgaria, although elements of early Renaissance and Ottoman architecture could have been used as well. In 1552, during the Siege of Kazan it was destroyed by Ivan the Terrible. The mosque displays several detail through mosaics, ornaments, calligraphy, and more. Tatar scholars speculate as to whether some elements of Kul Sharif Mosque can be seen in Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow (8 minarets, a central cupola, not typical for Russian architecture). Since 1996, the mosque has been rebuilt in the Kazan Kremlin, although its look is decisively modern. Its inauguration on July 24, 2005, marked the beginning of celebrations dedicated to the Millennium of Kazan. It can accommodate 6,000 worshipers.
The Chapel of the Carmelites of Rennes is of notable importance in the religious heritage of the 19th century in Ille-et-Vilaine. Leaning against the Parc du Thabor, full of Gothic and Romanesque beauty, the chapel is now undergoing restoration. This chapel currently hosts the Protestant cult.
The Vinje church is a long wooden church built in 1871. The architect of the church was the builder Ole Vangberg. Vangberg also designed the church in Oppheim, which was built in the same year as the church in Vinje.
Notre-Dame church is an old abbey church from the 11th century, rebuilt in the 14th century. The place of worship today is a composite building in Romanesque and Gothic style, behind a classical and neoclassical bell tower.
The Lysekloster chapel was built in 1663 and has preserved a number of old treasures: an altarpiece from 1664, a host box from 1703, a watering can from the 18th century, two large altarpieces from 1696 and an alms collector from 1696. The spire of the church tower has a weather vane bearing the year 1739.
The church of Our Lady of the Assumption is a fortified parish church. The parish already existed at the end of the 11th century. In 1467, the church was fortified and surrounded by a moat. The bell tower also dates from the 15th century.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut