The church of Saint-Léger, commonly known as the church of Basse-Nendaz, dates back to the end of the 9th or the beginning of the 10th century. However, the present structure of the church owes much to a renovation in the 1960s. The original chapel, which is the oldest part of the building, now serves as a crypt.
The first mention of St Mary's visit dates back to the late 13th century. In 1429 a sacristy was built to the north of the choir, which is now used as the Lady Chapel. In 1833, parts of the vault collapsed. A three-part window at the south portal was broken during the 19th century. In 1899-1900 a storey with a gallery was added to the church tower and the eight-sided spire was added. In 1947, the present sacristy was built to the south of the choir. From 1974 to 1975, the church was extensively renovated under the direction of the architect Heinrich Stiegemann from Warstein.
The Saint-Michel Chapel was built in 1499, as evidenced by an engraved wooden panel. Several times rebuilt and renovated, it almost disappeared in the 1960s. Thanks to the intervention of the Service des Monuments Historiques du canton du Valais, it was finally saved. The building in its present state, in Baroque style, dates from the 18th century. The interior decoration is the work of the painter Charles Frédéric Brun, better known in the region as Le Déserteur. The latter arrived in Nendaz around 1840.
The Protestant church of St. Maria in vinea, in early Gothic style, was the parish church of the old town of Warburg until 1283. The bishop of Paderborn, Otto von Rietberg, then ordered that the church be handed over to the Dominican order. St. Mary in Vinea remained the church of the Dominican monastery until its secularisation in 1803. Since 1824 it has been the church of the Protestant community. Next to the church is the Marianum Gymnasium in the former Dominican monastery.
The church of Haute-Nendaz was built from 1943 to 1953 by inhabitants who used to have to walk down to Lower Nendaz to go to mass at the church of Saint Léger.
The Church of St Hippolytus is said to have been built together with a monastery in the second half of the 8th century. Around the middle of the 10th century, a single-nave church was presumably built. It was replaced by a new building in the second third of the 12th century in the form of a basilica still without a tower. During the renovation in 1898, all Baroque art was completely removed from the church. Between 1972 and 1975, the church underwent extensive renovation. In 2012-13, the west tower was finally renovated and refurbished.
The Church of Christ the King of Fey was built between 1947 and 1950 to replace the former chapel of the Martenette, built in 1930. The exterior structure of the church is made of tufa stone. Its bell tower is overhung by two crossed arches and forms a dome, surmounted by a cross. Its eastern façade is decorated with a statue of the Virgin Mary above its main entrance.
The present church of St. Margaretha is a reconstruction of an old church from 1898. The priest Josef Mangst undertook a complete reconstruction of the church in the historicist taste of the time, more precisely: in a mixed neo-Romanesque and neo-Gothic style. At that time, the tower was equipped with the semicircular windows of the bell tower, the triangular gables of the clock and the pointed helmet.
The Bürgel Monastery is a former Benedictine abbey with a Romanesque church, founded in the 12th century, in 1133. The monastery was reformed in 1510 due to a decline in religious practices and poor management and was dissolved in 1526 under the influence of the Reformation. The monastery buildings were partly demolished, partly used for economic purposes, and the church partly fell into ruin. In the 19th and 20th centuries, the church was rebuilt and belongs to the local Protestant parish.
The Rairettes Chapel, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, was consecrated in 1930. As early as the 1920s, the inhabitants of Sion began to build the first chalets in the Rairettes area. The chapel was built by inhabitants tired of travelling to Basse-Nendaz for Sunday mass.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut