The Church of the Holy Parasceve in Poienile Izei is a wooden church of Maramureş built in 1632. The church was painted by local painters at the end of the 18th century. The porch was added in the first half of the 19th century and at the end of the same century, rectangular windows between the naves were built.
One of the mightiest defence towers in Transylvania features eight levels and is constructed above the initial chancel of the Romanesque basilica built in Homorod during the 13th century. The tower itself was built in 1550 in the church’s fortification phase, when the chancel was detached from the nave and the smaller western tower continuing the side aisle was flanked by two side constructions. Two defence walls protected the assembly: while the outer exterior had no towers, but an outer bailey, four corner towers strengthened the inner wall. In 1784, under the pressure of a constantly growing community, the church had to be enlarged by building a chancel on the southern side. After the fire in 1792 the church received its valuable late Baroque furniture, the painted flat ceiling, the ornamented galleries and a richly decorated organ altar. The mural painting fragments which are preserved in the chancel present depictions dating back to different eras, varying from 1270 to the late Middle Ages.
Benefiting from an important place, because in the centre of Mérignac, the church offers a beautiful example of syncretism between the Romanesque and neo-Gothic styles. Of modest size, its charm lies above all in its architecture of local light-coloured stone, but also in its stained glass windows, which make it an illuminated place with a pleasant atmosphere.
The basilica was built on the tomb of Saint Denis and was the burial place of the kings of France after Dagobert's death in 639. From 1135 and even before, Father Suger undertook the reconstruction of the Carolingian church. The harmonic facade, witness of the new Gothic period, was dedicated on June 9, 1140 and the chevet was consecrated in 1144. The whole thing was completed in the 13th century at the time of Saint-Louis.
According to the local legend, the priest of Alboraya when trying to carry the viaticum to a dying faithful who lived in Almácera (Moorish town at that time) had to cross the Carraixet ravine. Accidentally he dropped the box that contains the sacrament into the river, but miraculously two fish emerged from under the water and retrived the box for the priest. The current herimitage was built in the Neo-Gothic style and dates back to 1901.
A pier basilica, easily recognizable by its main features, constitutes the core of the fortified church in Caţa. Inside, the pillars with arcades are a typical Romanesque construction to connect the side aisles to the nave. On the northern clerestory two uncovered false windows can be seen. The Romanesque chancel as well as the apse were rebuilt during the 15th century in Gothic style. The cross vault collapsed 1894 together with the western tower and it was replaced later on by a flat ceiling. The tower was never rebuilt. The massive fortified curtain wall dating back to the 15th century still preserves four of initial six defence towers. The pentagonal “priest’s tower” offers views over the garden of the parish house. The assembly was provided with a second defence wall with outer bailey as early as the 17th century. Its northern side was demolished in 1884 and in 1937 for using the resulting material to build the school and the community hall.
Abbey founded in 1152 by Queen Adelaide of Savoy to establish a community of Benedictine sisters living under the rule of Cluny.
The church dates from the 18th century. It is of baroque style and medieval origin. Inside one finds three naves with side chapels. Those on the right dedicated to St. Roque and the Our Lady of Mount Carmel , the next to St. Pancracio and the Our Lady of the Rosary, then St. Cristóbal (patron saint of Alboraya) and St. Cucufate or Cucufato , followed by St. Francis of Assisi, and on the transept the Holy Christ of Providence, with the images of the Virgin and Saint John.
Marmoutier Abbey is a former Benedictine abbey supposedly founded by Martin de Tours in 372. The abbey has known a golden age during the Middle Ages, but after centuries of decline, it was dismembered during the French Revolution. The part of the site housing the remains of the former abbey was bought by the city of Tours in 1981 and archaeological excavations have been underway since 2004.
The wooden church of the old Bârsana monastery was built around 1711 and has interior paintings dating back to 1806. In 1999, the church was inscribed on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List along with seven other wooden churches of Maramureş, a county of northern Romania.