The church in Kokelv is a wooden church built in 1960 by a group of 24 German volunteers sponsored by Action Reconciliation Service for Peace, who spent seven months in Kokelv to build the church as a sign of reconciliation with the Norwegian people who had suffered under German occupation during the Second World War. The architect of the church is Rolf Harlew Jenssen.
The King Oscar II Chapel was built in 1869 to mark the 1826 border between Russia and Norway. The builder Johnsen from Romerike built the chapel according to the designs of J. W. Nordan. The church was named after Oscar II after his visit in 1873.
Nesseby Church is a long church from 1858, designed by the architect Christian H. Grosch. It is the second church on the site, the first being the former Kiberg church which was moved to Nesseby in 1746. This church was demolished when the present church was built. The church was not affected by the fire in Finnmark and North-Troms during the Second World War.
Strandarkirkja was built in 1888 and reconsecrated after renovations in 1968 and again in 1996. Many legends exist about the foundation of the first Strandarkirkja in the Middle Ages. Some say that the church was built by Gissur Teitsson, a famous Icelandic chieftain, others say that it was built with wood from the ship of a sailor lost at sea who had promised to donate all his wood for the construction of a church where it would be safely beached.
The Þingvallakirkja, an Icelandic term which literally means "Church of the Parliament Plains" or "Church of Þingvellir", is a small church whose present building dates from 1859, but the first building was constructed on the initiative of the Norwegian King Olaf I at the time of Iceland's conversion to Christianity around the year 1000.
Slotten church is a church built from 1963 to 1965. There was already a church in Slåtten from 1896. Sadly, it burned together with the rest of the village during the destruction of Finnmark in 1944.
The Vestre Jakobselv Church, formerly the Vestre Jakobselv Chapel, is a long church from 1940. It was designed by the State Building Inspector's Office and is built of wood. The designs for the chapel of Crown Prince Olav and Crown Princess Märtha in the forest village of Tørberget in the municipality of Trysil were reused.
The Vadsø church is a long church built in concrete according to the designs of the architect Magnus Poulsson. The church has a double tower at the entrance, at the top, connected by a gable. In the space between the towers is a tall golden spire. Above the entrance door is a golden sculpture of the disciple Peter.
The old church in Tana was burnt down by the Germans in 1944, so it took twenty years before the new church was completed. The foundation stone was laid in 1962 and the church was consecrated in 1964. The architect was Espen Poulson.
Lebesby Church was completed in 1962, 18 years after the old church of 1880 was burnt down in connection with the German withdrawal from Finnmark during the Second World War. The church has a long, almost square plan with a triangular roof profile. Next to it is a small building of the same shape, which houses a combined sacristy and parish hall as well as a small apartment for the priest. The church in Lebesby was designed by the architect Odd Borgrud Pedersen, and the builder was Mathias Paulen.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut