The church was mentioned in the Domesday Book and there is evidence of Roman and Saxon material in the west wall. St James' received Minster status in 2010. This large, cruciform church suffered bomb damage on 14th July 1943 when two bombs dropped into the churchyard, destroying the north wall of the transept and damaging most of the glass.
The Chapel of Saint-Antoine de Villard-Meyer is located in Saint-Martin-de-Queyrières, in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region. It dates from the seventeenth century, as the altarpiece is dated 1664. It is an elongated building with a flat chevet; the nave is covered with a frame and the long roof is covered with slates. A barrel vault protects the choir. The one-bay bell tower, built with stone slabs, is off center on the main gable wall.
A late Romanesque church building that contains many local memorials and is well connected with the community.
This church is the starting point of the 12 kilometer long 'Leedaanzeggerspad', a route that, in the 19th century, before telephone, telegraph and smartphone, a 'preacher' would follow with a special task: to report door-to-door in Noordwijk and surroundings and inform them of the demise of a fellow inhabitant. Visitors can now join the route and follow the path over the remaining paths and vanished roads. And remember: 'The mortuis nil nisi bene'.
A treasure house of William Morris and Sir Edward Burne-Jones windows. Ten windows designed by the great Victorian artist Sir William Burne-Jones RA who worked on them with designer William Morris are a rare and valuable possession which is our privilege and delight to share with you. They are believed to be the finest collection of windows by this artist of any church in the country.
The church of Westernijtsjerk was probably built at the end of the thirteenth century with remnants of a former estate houd: Jeppema Estate. In the fifteenth century the church was renewed and enlarged. The interior of the church is of great beauty.
A beautifully located white hall church on a raised cemetery that was built at the end of the 14th century by order of the abbot of Aduard.
The Church of St Mary and All Saints was built in the 14th century and is in Gothic style. Its north transept was rebuilt in 1769. The church underwent extensive renovations in 1843 and 1896/8. The church's famous twisted spire dates from around 1362. Legend has it that the church spire turned when trying to look at a bride, surprised that she was a virgin. Other stories see it as an act of the devil. It is now believed that the twisting of the spire was caused by the lead expanding faster on the south (sunny) side than on the north side of the tower, resulting in uneven expansion and contraction.
The church of Ginnum dates from the twelfth century. The building now serves as a studio for visual artists. To this end, the original furniture has been removed. In the choir a red-colored mural can be seen.
The church of St. Martin was probably founded around 1100 as a Romanesque church and replaced by a Gothic building between 1320 and 1370. At the time of the Reformation, the Simultaneum (a policy allowing public worship by the followers of two or more religious groups in the same church: Simultankirche) was established for St. Martin's Church, and Protestants and Catholics shared the church since 13 August 1548. This was especially true for the nave, the choir remaining purely Roman Catholic. This condition was established by the Peace of Westphalia, which referred to the normal year 1624, and still exists today. According to the land register, the owner of the parish church is the Gemeinschaftliche Kirchenpflege Biberach.