Explore Religious Heritage Across Europe

Here you can search for a building to visit. You can use the map find destinations, or you can use the filters to search for a building based upon what different criteria.

Refine search

Chiesa di Santa Maria Portae Paradisi

Chiesa di Santa Maria Portae Paradisi

Roma, IT

The church of Santa Maria Portae Paradisi was already known in the 9th century as Santa Maria in Augusta, and was given the name Porta Paradisi because one of the gates in the walls of the Mausoleum of Augustus, called paradiseiois, opened nearby, or because the cemetery (closed in 1836 due to the cholera epidemic) of the Hospital of San Giacomo in Augusta, called Incurabili, was located next door. In the 16th century, the church was rebuilt by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, and took its present name.

Church of the Holy Trinity of the Mountains

Church of the Holy Trinity of the Mountains

Roma, IT

The Church of the Holy Trinity of the Mountains is one of the five French-speaking Catholic churches in Rome, along with St. Louis of the French, St. Nicholas of Lorenese, St. Ivo of the Bretons and Saints Claudius and Andrew of Burgundy. The first part of the church was built between 1502 and 1519 in Gothic style. A new building was added to the Gothic nave in the mid-16th century, covered by a barrel vault and closed by a façade decorated with two symmetrical bell towers, the work of Giacomo della Porta and Carlo Maderno.

Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria

Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria

Roma, IT

Santa Maria della Vittoria is a baroque church built between 1608 and 1620, according to the plans of the architect Carlo Maderno (1556-1629). The building was entrusted to the Discalced Carmelites. The church, originally dedicated to St. Paul, was renamed Our Lady Queen of Victory after the victory of Catholic troops over Protestant bohemians at the Battle of the White Mountain (1620).

Chiesa di Sant'Isidoro a Capo le Case

Chiesa di Sant'Isidoro a Capo le Case

Roma, IT

The church of Sant'Isidoro a Capo le Case, part of a Franciscan complex, is one of the two Irish national churches. The church and monastery were built between 1622 and 1672, when Spanish Franciscan descalceati (Discalced) arrived to found a convent for their countrymen and built the church which they dedicated to the new Spanish saint. A few years later, the church and convent came under the authority of Irish Franciscan monks, fleeing their country under the persecution of the English Protestants.

Church of Santa Susanna

Church of Santa Susanna

Roma, IT

The Church of Santa Susanna was founded in the 9th century but its construction lasted until 1603, when the Baroque façade was completed by Carlo Maderno. From 1587 Pope Sixtus V made the church the seat of the female Cistercian monastic community of St. Bernard. As the Cistercian community was expropriated after 1870, the church was assigned to American cardinals in 1937 and served as the national church of American Catholics until 2017. It has now returned to its original use as a Cistercian monastery.

Church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini

Church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini

Roma, IT

The Church of Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini, built between 1626 and 1631 by order of Pope Urban VIII (1623-1644) to house the tomb of his brother Antonio Barberini. The building houses a popular crypt-shrine decorated with the bones of about 4000 Capuchin friars, collected between 1528 and 1870 in the former cemetery of the Capuchin order, which was located in the church of Santa Croce e Bonaventura dei Lucchesi, near the Quirinale.

Chiesa di Santa Maria Addolorata

Chiesa di Santa Maria Addolorata

Roma, IT

The church of Santa Maria Addolorata was built between 1998 and 2001 to a design by the architect Tommaso Sbardella and was consecrated on 17 March 2001 by Cardinal Camillo Ruini. The building has a composite structure, made of tuff blocks that match the travertine, with a wooden and copper roof; the façade is preceded by a flight of steps that leads to the three entrance portals, above which is a cross.

Church of Santa Maria del Rosario in Prati

Church of Santa Maria del Rosario in Prati

Roma, IT

The Church of Santa Maria del Rosario in Prati was built at the beginning of the 20th century and completed between 1912 and 1916 in neo-gothic style by the architect Giuseppe Ribaldi. The interior has three naves divided by pillars and five arches. The interior paintings are by Giovan Battista Conti.

Basilica del Sacro Cuore di Gesù

Basilica del Sacro Cuore di Gesù

Roma, IT

The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus was built between 1870 and 1887, according to the plans of the architect Francesco Vespignani. The church was commissioned by Pope Pius IX (1846-1878), but due to the annexation of Rome to the Kingdom of Italy, work was interrupted. It was only thanks to the tenacity of the priest John Bosco that construction was resumed in 1880 and completed in 1887.

Church of Santi Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso

Church of Santi Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso

Roma, IT

Santi Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso was built between 1612 and 1669 on a former 10th-century church. The church was originally designed by Onorio Longhi in a project inspired by the architecture of Milan Cathedral. Since 1906, the maintenance of the basilica has been entrusted to the priests of the Institute of Charity (Rosminians).

Be inspired

What is Religiana?

Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!