Cathedral built as early as the 10th century, which underwent multiple alterations and improvements until the 19th century.
The All Saints' Church was originally part of the Cistercian monastery of Sedlec, founded in 1142. The church was restored in the early 18th century in Baroque style. When the monastery was abolished in 1784, the building was bought by aristocrats (Schwarzenberg family) who gave the interior of the church its present appearance.
The Synagogue in Saluzzo was built in the 1700s and restored in 1832. This Baroque brick building still serves as a synagogue.
The Collegiate Church of Saint Andrew, also known as Saint Andrew's Church, is the former private chapel of the Dauphin dynasty, founded in 1228 as their burial place. The collegiate church of Saint-André is a remarkably homogeneous building founded in the 13th century by André Dauphin, Count of Viennois. Today a simple parish church, the collegiate church has housed the tomb of the famous Dauphin knight Pierre Terrail de Bayard, known as the "Bayard knight", since 24 August 1822 in the north transept.
The Great Beguinage of Sint-Amandsberg was built in 1873-1874 when the former Great Beguinage of Sint-Elisabeth in the centre of Ghent was abandoned. The new beguinage was designed by architect Arthur Verhaegen. Baron Jean-Baptiste de Bethune designed the church of the beguinage. It was built in two years at a fast pace. It is the only neo-gothic beguinage in Flanders.
The Beguinage Ter Hoye, also known as the Little Beguinage, was founded in 1234 by Joanna, Countess of Flanders, after the Great Beguinage. From about 1600 onwards, wooden houses were systematically replaced by stone houses. The most important buildings of the beguinage, including the church, date from the 17th century. The beguinage developed into a place of pilgrimage for St. Godelieve, for which a chapel was built in 1638 (rebuilt in the 18th century). Until 1880, various renovations took place, especially on the façades.
The synagogue of Amersfoort which was dedicated in 1727 was a rectangular shaped building located behind a private home. The original synagogue was used by both the Ashkenazi and Sephardic communities. The plans for the current synagogue were developed by the architect B. Ruitenberg. The design was inspired by the German neoclassical synagogue in Kleef which dates back to 1821. Unlike the rounded arch windows found in the example of Kleef, the synagogue of Amersfoort received pointed lancet windows and a round apse located at the eastern end. The neoclassical Torah ark dates back to 1843 and contains the Hebrew dates (5)487 and (5)611, corresponding to the year 1727 and 1843. The women's gallery is located at the opposite side of the Torah Ark. The synagogue was renovated in 1926/27 by the architect H. Elte Phzn. during which the art deco stained glass windows were installed. After a subsequent renovation by the architect A. Oznowicz the building became once again used as a synagogue in 1949. Oznowicz was also responsible for the design of the furniture including the bimah and railings of the Torah Ark. The architect P. Wassink tried to restore the original color palette during a renovation in 1993/94. After an excavation in 1993 of a nearby house located behind the synagogue, the original mikveh was discovered.
The Basilica of the Sacred Heart was built from 1922 onwards in a Romanesque-Byzantine style. Although unfinished, the basilica was consecrated in 1943. The present altar is the only ancient element of the basilica, probably originating from the priory of Saint-Martin de Misèré founded by Hugues de Grenoble around 1100. An extensive renovation and extension project began in October 2013 and was completed in early 2016.
St Michael's Church is a 15th-century church. In 1495 the tower was built on the south side and the nave on the west side. The vault and roof were completed around 1520. During the remodelling of 1892, the galleries were built, the south windows were blocked up and stairs were built outside. At the end of the Second World War, during the Battle of Bautzen, the tower dome was burnt down, but a bell from 1929 was preserved and was the only one in the whole city to ring on New Year's Day 1946. During the renovation work from 1964 to 1976, most of the 1892 alterations were reversed, the extensions were removed and the windows were exposed again.
The Cathedral of Ferrara, built in the 12th century, was first built in Romanesque style, as shown by its façade. Between 1451 and 1493, the bell tower was built according to a project by Leon Battista Alberti, but it was never completed.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut