This late Romanesque parish church was built from 1182 to 1235 under the impulse of the Abbot of Murbach, replacing a chapel located in the same place. Several additions and modifications have taken place over the centuries, such as the five-sided apse, or the upper parts of the choir.
The church of Saint-Eloi, known as the cathedral of Les Sables, dates from the middle of the 15th century. In 1558, the French led by the marshal de Thermes invaded the town and burned the church. Only the tower remained. The reconstruction of the church began around 1560 under the direction of the master-builder Jean de Renneville. The old tower, separated from the new church by part of the ruins of the first church, remained isolated and was used as a belfry. The belfry is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site under the title Belfries of Belgium and France.
The Saint-Amé church was built in 1875 and dedicated to Saint Amé, patron saint of Amé Tilloy, founder of the Compagnie des Mines de Lens. The church was built for the workers of the pit n°3 of the mines of Lens and their families. Destroyed during the First World War, it was rebuilt in its present form in 1934-35. Since 2008, the church has been famous for its series of modern figurative stained glass windows that evoke the life of the miners of Liévin.
The Wieskirche is a pilgrimage church in the Bavarian "Pfaffenwinkel" ("priests' corner": due to the large number of churches and monasteries in the region). The pilgrims come to see a wooden figure of the "Scourged Savior" who supposedly cried real tears in 1738. Built in the middle of the eighteenth century in a Rococo style, it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1983.
The cathedral is one of the first major Gothic style buildings in France. It is also the heir to an old building, built under the Carolingians and destroyed during the communal uprising of 1112.
Built around 1140 on this Templar site of Laon, it is currently located in the courtyard of the Archaeological Museum of Laon, and houses two statues of prophets (dated around 1200) probably coming from the cathedral.
Notre-Dame de Reims Cathedral is known to have been the site of almost all the coronations of the kings of France since the 11th century. It was here that Clovis, the first king of the Franks, was baptized at the turn of the 5th and 6th centuries, an event retrospectively considered to be the foundation of the French monarchy. The current Gothic cathedral was built from the 13th to 14th centuries, on a site where cathedrals have been built since the 5th century. The building was severely damaged during the First World War, but has been rebuilt and listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1991.
Building linked to the history of devotion to Saint Quentin, whose relics it contains were the object of an important cult in the Middle Ages. Its construction is contemporary with that of Notre-Dame de Paris and Soissons Cathedral.
The Synagogue in Reims is an Ashkenazi synagogue completed in 1879 by architect Narcisse Brunette. The synagogue was made in stone in the Neo-Moorish and Neo-Romanesque style.
This imposing abbey of Laon was built at the beginning of the 12th century, and Saint Norbert installed 12 canons regular of Prémontré. Basing its wealth notably on the exploitation of the vineyards of the upper town, this abbey was very influential during the medieval period.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut