Situated prominently in the heart of the village, in an area of outstanding natural beauty. St Mary's is the only church actually on the course of Hadrian's Wall. Originally constructed in the late 13th century using stone from Hadrian's wall it is built on the top of a Norman 'Motte and Bailey' and on the site of a Roman milecastle.
Strømsoddbygda chapel is a long church from 1953-57, known as "The Temple in the Forest", a name given to it by the poet Elling M. Solheim (1905-1971).
The Synagogue in Bjelovar is an Ashkenazi synagogue built in 1917 by architects Leo Hönigsberg and Julius Deutsch. This Modernist brick synagogue now serves as a cultural centre.
The Greek Catholic Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin was built in 1759 in Uhrynów (Ukraine) and transferred to Tarnoszyn (Poland) in 1904. In 1994, it was acquired by the Greek Catholic parish of Lublin. In 1997, it was carefully restored in the Open Air Village Museum in Lublin, where it is now.
Bjelovar Cathedral was built between 1765 and 1775 and is named after St. Theresa of Avila, patron saint of the Austrian Empress Maria Theresa, who founded Bjelovar in 1756. An earthquake in 1880 damaged the church and the parish court. The church was restored by the architect Hermann Bolle in 1888, and in 1896 the church was completely restored from the inside. The church did not become a cathedral until 2009.
Ænes Church is a medieval stone church with a short, almost square nave and a lower, narrower choir, which is also almost square. The church of Ænes was probably built in the 13th century. In front of the west entrance is a bell tower that was built in 1869, when the church was restored with, among other things, new and lower roofs. The bell tower replaces an old porch. The church was restored in 1901, and in the 1950s it was restored by the architect Kristian Bjerknes.
The building, the oldest parts of which date back to the 12th and 13th centuries, seems to have been altered at the end of the 15th following a violent destruction, and has since undergone some modifications.
Church built between the 13th and 14th centuries, according to the Gothic models of Northern France. The building was seriously damaged by the Huguenots in 1657.
12th century Norman church, built with stones from Hadrian's Wall and the Roman fort of Aballava and situated alongside the Hadrian's wall Path and cycleway. King Edward I (Longshanks) died nearby and lay in State in the church for ten days in 1307. One of only three fortified churches in Cumbria, with visible architectural features from the turbulent past of this border area.
The Pula Cathedral was created by the extension of the previous religious buildings, present on the site since the 5th century. It was richly decorated with murals and mosaics on the floor, a very small part of which has been preserved today. The present classical facade was donated in 1712, at the time of Bishop Bottari, when extensive restoration work on the basilica and the Baroque bell tower began, which was completed in 1924. The free-standing bell tower was completed in 1707.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
Church of Christ Pantocrator