It is in a peripheral district of the east of Paris that this church dedicated to the Holy Spirit was built between 1926 and 1935. Cardinal Verdier entrusted this ambitious project to Paul Tournon, an architect with a classical education, who had just experimented with new techniques in Sainte-Thérèse d'Elizabethville (now Lubumbashi, Zaire).
"Temple of the Hymen and Fidelity" in 1795, the church was returned to worship in 1802. It was restored in the first half of the 19th century (in 1823 and again in 1843). Altarpiece of the main altar by Simon Vouet and Jacques Sarrazin.
Built in 1623, the church was modified from 1828 to 1832. Its porch was rebuilt by Baltard in 1855. First chapel of the Immaculate Conception in 1623, it became the parish church of Saint Francis of Assisi in 1791, then Saint John Saint Francis in 1797. In 1970, the church was attributed to the Armenian Catholic community. His two organs are among the first made in Paris by Cavaillé-Coll and his son in 1844. Statue of Germain Pilon (16th century) depicting Saint Francis in ecstasy, and four paintings by Brother Luke (late 17th century) depicting Saint Francis.
The Great Synagogue of Paris was built in 1867-1874 in a neo-Byzantine style. After the war, the synagogue undertook renovations completed in 1967. This synagogue has been classified as a historical monument since 1987.
The church of Sainte-Marie des Batignolles was built between 1828 and 1851. The construction was carried out under the direction of the architect Jacques Molinos. The church took the name Sainte-Marie des Batignolles in 1830 when Charles X created the new commune of Batignolles-Monceau by separating it from the commune of Clichy-la-Garenne. The neo-classical church is shaped like a Greek temple. Its triangular pediment is supported by four columns. It is one of the few churches that does not have a bell tower. However, it has a bell in a small tower built in 1857.
The decision to create a church in this developing neighbourhood dates back to 1861. It is the work of the architect Théodore Ballu who orchestrated the work from 1862 to 1867. He had previously completed the neo-Gothic church of Sainte-Clotilde and after 1871, he rebuilt the Town Hall destroyed during the Commune. The Trinity Church is, along with the Church of St. Augustine, the most famous religious achievement of the Haussmann period.
The Blancs-Manteaux monastery was founded in 1258. From 1685 to 1690, the monastery and its church were rebuilt to house the novitiate of the Benedictines of Paris, home to a centre of scholarship. The convent was suppressed and the church sold in 1796, it reopened by government decree in 1800 and was purchased by the City of Paris in 1807, it changed from a monastery church to a parish church. The bombardment of August 26, 1944 damaged the stained glass windows and the organ. Since then, the instrument has been rebuilt and the stained glass windows replaced by new ones representing the great moments in the history of the Blancs-Manteaux. With the exception of the church, the presbytery is the only surviving part of the convent.
The church of Saint-Antoine-des-Quinze-Vingts was built in 1902-03. The church is built of brick and stone on a basilica plan in the neo-Romanesque style. Some parts and decorations are typical of the Art Nouveau of the Nancy School. The façade is made of brick and stone. It opens with a scalloped semi-circular portal and three lancet windows.
The Agudas Hakehilos (Rue Pavée) Synagogue in Paris is an Orthodox synagogue completed in 1914 by architect Hector Guimard. This brick building still serves as a synagogue.
The church was built between 1627 and 1641 by the Jesuits with the financial support of Louis XIII. The inauguration Mass is celebrated by Cardinal Richelieu. It is one of the first churches to emancipate itself from the Gothic tradition. Indeed, the plan is inspired by the Gesù church in Rome. It was first restored in the 19th century by the architect Victor Baltard, then completely renovated in 2012.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut