Explore Religious Heritage Across Europe

Here you can search for a building to visit. You can use the map find destinations, or you can use the filters to search for a building based upon what different criteria.

Refine search

Church of Saint Martin of Mouros

Church of Saint Martin of Mouros

Resende, PT

The Church's tower-façade does not meet military requirements. For this purpose, there were the crags and valleys of this place that helped the Christians to take over the castle of Saint Martin. Thus, this Church, built in the 13th century, although it stands out as part of the Portuguese Romanesque due to the eccentric volumetrics of its façade, still fulfils the functions for which it was built, already in times of peace: the liturgy. Its initial design was bold but remained incomplete. The inscription "1217", discovered in an ashlar [stone] of the chancel, shows the start of its construction or the completion of the first phase of construction, thus giving expression to the hypothetical idea of a temple with three vaulted naves. Opposite the latter, there is a pointed triumphal arch topped by a framed oculus. It was, however, in the Modern Age, and especially during the Baroque, that the Church's space underwent further changes, such as the chancel, intervened under the responsibility of the patrons. Noteworthy are the paintings from the workshop of the Masters of Ferreirim (about 1530), the carvings in the main altarpiece [main altar] of "National" style, and the ceiling of hagiographic nature [the life of the saints].

Church of Saint Andrew of Telões

Church of Saint Andrew of Telões

Amarante, PT

In the 14th century, Telões already emerged as a parish church, raised to the category of a monastic seat, which has disappeared in the meantime. Profoundly changed over the centuries in response to new tastes and new liturgies, we must situate its Romanesque construction at the turn of the 12th to the 13th century. The subsequent transformations (denounced by several scars along the walls of the nave), the edification of the church porch and vestry, or even the opening of large rectangular windows in the sidewalls, produced a profound modification of the medieval spatiality. However, one of the most significant transformations to this Church occurred in the 16th century, resulting in a widespread campaign of mural painting, although today we can only appreciate the one on the back wall of the nave, depicting the Nativity scene. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the Church of Telões was endowed with new altars and altarpieces (main, two collateral and two lateral), which combine the Mannerist and Baroque styles with contemporary interventions.

Inkoo Church

Inkoo Church

Ingå, FI

The Inkoo Church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, was built in three phases, the most recent of which is the origin of the present building. According to Markus Hiekkanen, the first phase dates from the 1430s at the earliest, the second phase perhaps from the second half of the 15th century, and the last phase probably from the 1510s. The bell tower was built next to the church in 1739-1740. The church contains the only surviving mural painting of "Dancing Macabre" in Finland.

Budal Church

Budal Church

Midtre Gauldal, NO

Budal church is a wooden church built in 1754. The church was built in a Y-shaped design, which is quite rare in Norway.

Monastery of the Saviour of Freixo de Baixo

Monastery of the Saviour of Freixo de Baixo

Amarante, PT

Freixo de Baixo still stands today as a leading symbol of the monastic complex established by the manorial power and taken over by the Canons Regular of Saint Augustine. Deployed along a watercourse, in a fertile valley, the Monastery still impresses the visitor today. The persistence of the foundations of the original galilee and traces of the original cloister [inner courtyard of a monastery], along with a stout bell tower, gives this set an unusual monumentality in the panorama of Romanesque architecture in Portugal. The façade is the best-preserved element of the primitive Church. Reinforced by two corners, it features a sturdy portal whose archivolts are decorated with dihedral logs. The capitals feature animals facing each other, phytomorphic and botanic motifs, and braidings similar to São Pedro de Ferreira (Paços de Ferreira) and Salvador de Paço de Sousa (Penafiel). Inside the Church, the prominent frescoes stand out, visible on the north wall of the nave. It is a scene of the Epiphany of the Lord, attributed to the Master of 1510 who took part in making the paintings of Vila Verde and Pombeiro (Felgueiras) and the ones of Saint Nicholas (Marco de Canaveses).

Church of Saint Mary of Jazente

Church of Saint Mary of Jazente

Amarante, PT

A building with elements that may be included in the category of late Romanesque, the Church of Jazente presents itself as an important historical record of the ancient boundaries of the diocese of Porto. The façade is dominated by the portal, one of the elements that best exposes its late construction, but it is in its tympanum that lies its greatest originality. Here we observe a cross pattée overlapping an identical motif, engraved on the lintel supporting it. By the end of Romanesque, there was a tendency to punch the tympanum, not only with the casting of crosses but also with other orifices. Such is confirmed by the five circle-shaped openings, forming a cross, surrounded by a double circle engraved in granite on the south side portal. Inside, the Gothic sculpture representing the patron saint of the Church, the Virgin with the Child Jesus in her arms, of the so-called "Jazente", stands out. This is a work in polychrome limestone in which Mother and Son transpire maternal and filial love. Jazente is also recognized for being the abbey of Paulino Cabral (1719-1789) who preached here between 1752 and 1784, from "Arcadismoâ", a literary movement of a classicist nature whose leading figure was Bocage.

Church of the Saviour of Real

Church of the Saviour of Real

Amarante, PT

The Church of Real is situated on a small hill in a secluded location. Built-in the first quarter of the 14th century, it falls into the category of late Romanesque, as shown by the main portal, with no tympanum, with columns headed by capitals deployed of voluminous sculpture. This is an adaptation of the influence of the Romanesque from the city of Porto may have arrived here through Travanca (Amarante) since the Church of Real belonged to the patronage of that Monastery. On the south side façade, one can still enjoy an arcosolium with sarcophagus, whose lid bears an engraved sword, which demonstrates the social status of those who are buried there. Close to this stands a bell tower clearly showing Romanesque traits. The 18th century and the Baroque changes have left deep marks in this Church. Large windows for lighting were opened, three aligned crosses were placed in the gables and the cressets in the corners of the nave. Furthermore, the variations at the level of the structure are also evidence that this building was modified enough throughout its history. Inside, even today, one may appreciate the consecration crosses, of Romanesque nature, pattée and inscribed in a circle. In 1938, Real was no longer a mother church.

Bom Jesus do Monte

Bom Jesus do Monte

Braga, PT

The UNESCO world heritage site is one of the most famous sites in Northern Portugal. It is a pilgrimage site featuring a basilica atop 116 meters of stairs, of which pilgrims are encouraged to climb on their knees to symbolize the Passion of Christ. The neoclassic cathedral atop the hill was built in the 18th century and served as a model for other churches throughout both Portugal and Brazil.

Santuário do Bom Jesus do Monte

Santuário do Bom Jesus do Monte

Tenões, PT

The Santuário do Bom Jesus do Monte is an important place of pilgrimage as well as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. A hermitage already existed here in the 14th century, and as pilgrims came in greater numbers, another was built here in 1494. At the beginning of the 16th century, in 1522, a third hermitage was built. In 1722 the idea of the present monument with the monumental staircase was born. However, work did not begin until 1784 and was completed in 1811.

Church of St John the Baptist

Church of St John the Baptist

Järva-Jaani, EE

The Church of St John the Baptist was probably built in the third quarter of the 13th century, making it one of the oldest churches in Järva County. The stone church was preceded by a wooden church built by the Danes. Originally it was a Gothic-style church with a single nave and no tower. The neo-Gothic tower was not built according to the design of Johann Gottfried Mühlhausen until 1881.

Be inspired

What is Religiana?

Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!