The first church on the site of today's Cathedral of Christ the Saviour was built during the Ottoman period. It was destroyed after the 1875 uprising against the Turks. After the First World War, a new cathedral was built on this site between 1925 and 1939, but in 1941 it was bombed and its apse was badly damaged. Left in ruins by the communist regime, it was not until 1993 that the cathedral was rebuilt and finally completed in 2009.
The Grande Chartreuse Monastery is the first monastery as well as the mother house of the hermit monks of the Carthusian order. The legend of the foundation of the monastery tells that a group of several monks, guided by Bishop Hugues de Grenoble (1080 to 1132), settled in June 1084 in the Chartreuse valley. Since the 19th century, the Grande-Chartreuse community has been known to oversee the production of the popular Chartreuse liqueur.
St. Bonaventure's Cathedral is one of the four Roman Catholic cathedrals in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The first cathedral existed between 1887 and 1969, but an earthquake damaged it and its building had to be completely demolished. The new modernist cathedral built in 1972-1973 is reminiscent of a tent, recalling the Old Testament tent as a place of prayer.
Church started in 1420, it was first a chapel, then a church adjoining the Franciscan convent. It was gradually enlarged. During the Revolution, it was plundered but not destroyed.
The Abbey of Muri, dedicated to Saint Martin de Tours, was founded in 1027 by Radbot, Count of Habsburg. The abbey suffered several damages, including two fires in 1300 and 1363; an attack in 1530 by the troops of the canton of Bern, newly acquired during the Protestant Reformation, and then experienced major economic problems at the end of the 16th century before resuming its development at the beginning of the following century. During the French Revolution and the occupation of Switzerland, the Abbey of Muri long refused the closure of religious services decided by the occupiers. The abbot and the few remaining monks were saved by Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria, who offered them a residence in Gries, Tyrol. Since that time, the Abbot of Muri has also been Prior of Gries.
Notre-Dame de Sénanque Abbey is a Cistercian monastery founded in 1148, and became an abbey in 1150. In 1544, during the Wars of Religion, monks were hanged and the monastery was burnt down by the Waldensians and the convent building destroyed. At the end of the 17th century, there were only two monks left in Senanque. After losing its original vocation, the abbey was bought by the abbot of Lérins, Dom Barnouin, in 1857. It was only in 1926 that convent life resumed uninterruptedly in Sénanque, now the priory of Lérins Abbey. The monastery is known for the production of the liqueur of Sénacole, from 19 plants that flower in the Provencal valley of the abbey of Sénanque.
The Grossmünster, built between 1100 and 1220, is a protestant reformed church in Zurich's old town. The first part of the Grossmünster is believed to have been built by Charlemagne, who discovered the tombs of Saints Felix and Regula, two martyrs of Christianity, around the 7th century. The Protestant Reformation in Switzerland led by Ulrich Zwingli began in the Grossmünster, where he preached from 1519 onwards as a priest. The twin towers of the church, with their neo-Gothic domes, are the symbol of the town.
The Fraumünster Zurich, established in 853, is one of the four Reformed churches of the Old Town and one of the city's landmarks. The former Fraumünster Monastery, destroyed in the 19th century, was a Benedictine monastery.
St. Peter in Zurich, built from the 13th century, is one of the three Old Town churches that characterize the silhouette of Zurich. It is located on a hill in the old town near the Lindenhof, where the Roman settlement of Turicum and the imperial Palatinate lay.
The synagogue on Löwenstrasse in Zürich was an Ashkenazi synagogue from 1883-84. The synagogue was restored in 1936, 1952 and finally in 1993 by the architects Michael Berlowitz and Ron Epstein-Mil. The brick synagogue mixes neo-Moorish and neo-Byzantine elements.