The Synagogue in Hüttenheim is an Ashkenazi synagogue from 1754, restored in 1996. In use until WWII, this Baroque stone building now serves as a dwelling.
The New synagogue in Augsburg was built between 1913 and 1917 designed by the architects Fritz Landauer and Heinrich Lömpel. The synagogue is atypical in being richly decorated with iconographic decorations including a colored mosaic above the Torah ark.
Augsburg Cathedral was built in the 11th century in Romanesque style, with Gothic additions in the 14th century. Romanesque construction began in 1043 and was completed in 1065. The two towers, visible from all over the city, were completed in 1075. Many Gothic architectural elements, such as the choir, were added between 1331 and 1431. During the Protestant Reformation, the cathedral lost a good part of its works, some of which were restored. The interior, which had been laid out in Baroque style in the 17th century, regained its medieval appearance in the 19th century with neo-Gothic elements.
The Abbey Church of Otterberg was founded in 1143 by Cistercians as the abbey church of a daughter abbey of the Eberbach monastery. In the 15th century, the monastery slowly declined. In 1504, and in 1525 during the Peasants' War, the monastery was burned and plundered. At the end of the 16th century, the abbey church began to be used simultaneously by the Catholic and Protestant parishes, but not without causing disputes. In 1708, therefore, a separation wall was built between the two spaces. The choir hall with the transept is now used as the Catholic part, the remaining nave as the Protestant part. In 1979, the wall was removed as part of a major renovation, but the structure of the property was not changed.
St. Ulrich's Church was built from a porch, which served as a market for St. Ulrich pilgrims and as a burial place for the inhabitants of Augsburg. As early as 1457, the first conversion into a Benedictine sermon house for the community of St. Ulrich took place. In 1526, the church was given to the Protestants as a parish church, a use which it would not have definitively until the Peace of Westphalia (1648). In 1709-10, the congregation led by Marx Loeser decided to fundamentally rebuild the church, which was in need of renovation in the meantime, and the church received approximately its present appearance.
St. Kilian's Cathedral in Würzburg is a Romanesque church built from 1040. It is said to be the fourth largest Romanesque basilica in Germany. It is the third church on the site, the two previous ones, built around 787 and 855, were destroyed by fire. The side aisles were remodelled around 1500 in the late Gothic style. Pietro Magno decorated the cathedral with Baroque stuccoes in 1701. Most of the building collapsed after the Second World War. Reconstruction was completed in 1967.
The city church of Winterthur was built from the 13th to the 19th century. Apart from the tower, the oldest part that still exists today is the Romanesque-early-Gothic choir, which was built in the middle of the 13th century. It was built as an extension of the nave on the model of the Fraumünster in Zurich. Serious damage during the city fire of 1313 made its reconstruction necessary. From 1486 to 1490, a second tower was built on the south side of the choir. The nave was built between 1501 and 1518 and extended ten metres further west but was somewhat narrower than before.
St. Joseph's Church is the second oldest Catholic church in the city. Construction of St. Joseph's Church began in 1913 according to the plans of the architect Adolf Gaudy from Rorschach. In 1973, the exterior of the church was renovated, and in 1976-1977 the interior was renovated.
The synagogue was originally built in 1730 and is now newly renovated and in liturgical use again. The synagogue consists of a prayer hall, precentor quarters, and bathhouse. A small 18th century building next to the Synagogue, which was the home of a Jewish family until about 1850, is used today for the museum galleries.
St. Lorenz's Basilica is the former church of the Benedictine monastery of the princely abbey of Kempten, which has now been abolished. While the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) was still going on, the then 29-year-old Abbot Roman Giel von Gielsberg began preparations for the construction of the church. The church became one of the first large church buildings after the Thirty Years' War in Germany.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut