Acerra Cathedral

Acerra Cathedral stands on the site of an ancient Roman temple dedicated to Hercules. It has been rebuilt several times, the present building dates from the 19th century. Its plan is in the shape of a Latin cross with a nave and two aisles separated by pillars. The façade is in neoclassical style with eight Ionic columns, on a pavement that alternates basalt and chessboard marble.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture

Visitors information

  • On street parking at the building
  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Baku

Chiesa di Sant'Antonio Abate

The first mention of the church of Sant'Antonio Abate dates back to the early 14th century. Towards the end of the 14th century, the complex therefore already included the church, the hospital and the convent, and was managed by the hospitable monks of Antonia, who prepared the sacred dye used to treat the shingles. The first remodelling dates back to 1370, the next to the 17th century, which erased part of the original structure. On the orders of Cardinal Antonino Sersale, the structure was remodelled in 1779.

Wikimedia Commons/Baku

Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli alle Croci

The 16th-century church of Santa Maria degli Angeli alle Croci is one of the most remarkable Baroque churches in Naples. It was built in 1581 with the adjoining Franciscan convent. After a reform of the order, the convent was transformed into a college and the complex was rebuilt in 1638 by Cosimo Fanzago, who also redecorated the interior. Since 1815, the former convent has housed the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Naples.

Wikimedia Commons/Bocachete

Nola Cathedral

The present Nola Cathedral was built between 1869 and the beginning of the 20th century according to a project by the architect Nicola Breglia in neo-Renaissance style: it was inaugurated in May 1909 with the placing of the relics of Saint Paulinus. The new construction was necessary due to the devastating arson attack that completely destroyed the old Gothic church on the night of 13th February 1861.