The Steigen church is an old stone church, the oldest parts of which were built around the 13th century. Over the years, the church has undergone various repairs following fires and storms. In the 17th century, the roof of the church was torn off three times. In 1657, lightning struck and the church burned down. The remains of part of the old inventory are kept in the museum in Tromsø.
The Aachen Cathedral, built on the former Palatine Chapel of the Palace of Charlemagne (800-814), is the most important architectural example of the Carolingian Renaissance. The Aachen Cathedral is a heterogeneous structure, influenced by many stylistic epochs, characterized by numerous breaks and extensions. To symbolically anchor their reign in the wake of that of Charlemagne, a large portion of the rulers of the Holy Roman Empire, between 936 and 1531, were crowned here.
Aarhus Cathedral was built in the 13th century in Romanesque style. Damaged by a fire in 1330, the cathedral was rebuilt according to Gothic canons from the end of the 14th century until 1500.
The first church dates from the 10th century, with a Romanesque Benedictine choir, replaced in the 12th century by a Gothic choir. The majority of the building is dated between the 11th and 13th centuries.
Established on the right bank of the river Charente, near the former funeral basilica of Bishop Pallais, it owes its foundation in 1047 to the Count of Anjou Geoffroy Martel and his wife Agnes of Burgundy. First women's abbey in Saintonge, the Benedictine moniales printed currency and had a taste for business.
Former abbey of Mègemont, Cistercian abbey founded by the Counts of Auvergne in the 13th century (1274). Of the church, only the choir and the transept remain, in poor condition (the nave disappeared at the beginning of the 20th century). The monastery buildings retain rooms with vaulted arches and a room with stucco decorations.
The Abbey of Val-Richer was founded around 1146 and its abbey-church was consecrated in 1220. Little transformed thereafter, it underwent some work in the 16th century after having been pillaged twice during the Wars of Religion (1562-1598). Abbot Dominique Georges (1651-1693) is considered the main restorer of the abbey. The French Revolution put an end to the monastic life of the abbey in 1791. In 1836, François Guizot, then Minister of Public Instruction, bought the ruins of Val-Richer and restored them.
The building is essentially dated to the 12th and 13th centuries, which saw the nave, the choir, then the transept and the lantern tower. A fire led to the reconstruction of the bell tower. In the 19th century, the vaults were reworked.
The cathedral is built on a former Carolingian church, itself on a Gallo-Roman temple. The present building has some elements dating back to the 11th and 12th centuries, but most of the building dates from the 17th period when Louis XIV created the Diocese of Alès to fight the Huguenots.
Notre-Dame de Mouzon Abbey is the former church of the abbey of Mouzon, in the Ardennes in France. The evolution of this abbey in the Middle Ages is linked to the relics sheltered in this place, in particular those of Saint Victor and Saint Arnoul. Object of an ostentatious cult, these relics became sources of material income. The influx of pilgrims imposed the construction of this building, in the 12th and 13th centuries, which was inspired by the first Gothic-style buildings, but already heralded, by certain technical choices, a second generation. The dimensions are relatively small.