The Abbey of Our Lady was founded in 1878 on the 11th century "Sainte-Marie" church, associated with a Benedictine monastery. The building was then enlarged in the 16th century, but by the end of the 19th century it had become so worn out that it was not considered possible to renovate it.
The Abbey of Rouge-Cloître was built in 1366 as a hermitage. The priory was then built in 1374, on land granted by the duchess Jeanne de Brabant. In the 16th century, the monastery was one of the most prestigious in the Spanish Netherlands, Charles V often stayed there. However, at the end of the 16th century, during the Dutch revolt (from 1566), the priory was looted and the canons were forced to take refuge in Brussels until the end of the troubles. The monastery was definitively suppressed in 1796 with the suppression of the monasteries decreed by the French Directory.
St. Gallen Abbey, founded in 613, is the oldest monastery in Switzerland. Very little remains of the medieval abbey. Between 924 and 933, the invasion of the Magyars threatens the abbey, and books and parchments from the library are sent to Reichenau; most are returned to St. Gallen once the risk of looting has passed. During this looting, St. Wiborada is killed. She is the first woman to be canonised by Pope Clement II in 1047. Most of the buildings, including the abbey church, were built between 1755 and 1768 in the Baroque style. Its rococo library is one of the most important monastic libraries in the world, housing one of the most comprehensive collections of early medieval manuscripts in German-speaking Europe.
The abbey was built on the Saint-Hilaire chapel dedicated to the first bishop who evangelized the region in the sixth century. The abbey experienced difficulties in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, particularly financial. During the French Revolution, the buildings were sold as national goods.
The Abbey of Saint-Maurice d'Agaune was founded in 515 by the future King of Burgundy Saint Sigismund on the site of an ancient sanctuary housing the relics of Maurice d'Agaune. The abbey is one of the most important monasteries created north of the Alps during the High Middle Ages. In 1560, the abbey was destroyed by a great fire followed, fifty years later, by a huge landslide following an earthquake. The abbey church was rebuilt with a new orientation in the 17th century and restored by the architect Claude Jaccottet after a collapse in 1942.
The Abbey of San Galgano is an ancient Cistercian abbey of the 13th century. The site includes the hermitage (called "Rotonda di Montesiepi") and the great abbey, today completely in ruins and reduced only to the walls. The prosperity of the monastery ceased at the end of the 14th century, when Italy was in a state of perpetual war and the warlords sacked the area. In 1577 a restoration of the setting was begun, but it did not prevent further degradation. In 1600, some sources claim that only one monk remained in the abbey, reduced to the state of a hermit.
The Abbey of San Giovanni Evangelista is a Benedictine complex built between 1510 and 1607. The marble facade of the abbey church was designed by Simone Moschino in late Mannerist style in 1604 and completed in 1607. The bell tower was added in 1613. With a height of 75 metres it is the highest in Parma.
The Abbey of San Pedro el Viejo is a 12th-century Romanesque building, one of the most important in Aragonese Romanesque art. An old Visigothic Christian temple once stood here, but shortly after Christian reconquered the town (1096), the church was converted into a Benedictine abbey and rebuilt accordingly.
The Abbey of Santa María la Real de Las Huelgas, is a monastery of Cistercian nuns of San Bernardo. It was founded in 1187 by King Alfonso VIII of Castile and his wife Leonor de Plantagenet. It houses works of great value, including some of the oldest stained glass windows in Spain.
The abbey Saint-Victor of Marseille was founded in the 5th century by Jean Cassien, near the tombs of martyrs of Marseille, among whom Saint Victor of Marseille († in 303 or 304). For more than 1,500 years, Saint-Victor is one of the high places of Catholicism in the south of France, and although the monastery was dismantled at the Revolution, the church is still assigned to worship. The abbey is classified as a historical monument since 1840.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut