The Achel Abbey was first built in 1656 as a chapel and soon became a hermitage (1686). In 1846 the building was converted into a priory, and to a Trappist abbey in 1871.
Admont Abbey is a Benedictine monastery founded in 1074. It houses the world's largest monastic library, which was started in the mid-18th century and completed in 1776. For centuries, the monastery was not only the religious centre of Upper Styria, but also a centre of art and science. After a decline caused by the Turkish wars and the Reformation, the Counter-Reformation under Abbot Johann Hoffmann gave the abbey a new impetus. A fire in 1865 had devastating consequences. Apart from the library, it destroyed almost the entire monastery, including the organ built by Franz Xaver Krisman in 1782. Reconstruction began a year later, but the corresponding building plan was only partially realised.
Built in the 18th century to replace a older wooden church in the same place. Its cemetery is where René Descartes was first buried in 1650, before his remains were moved to France. There is now only a memroial to him inside the church.
This 14th-century cathedral was built on the site of a former 12th-century Romanesque church and an even older chapel. It was the site of where the reformation began in Hanover. The church was destroyed in an air-raid during the Second World War, leaving only the tower and some walls. Today it stands as a war memorial, featuring a sculpture, dedicated in 1959 and a peace bell donated from Hanover's sister city, Hiroshima, Japan.
The present Åfjord church was built between 1877 and 1879 and is the third church built on this site. The first church was built after the Reformation, and was dedicated to John the Baptist. It burned down due to lightning in 1766.
In the early 14th Century an early Gothic basilica was built in the middle of the village. The aisles were removed and the arcades were bricked up in 1500, when the church was fortified. Above the chancel a defence tower was erected. The chancel’s polygonal closure was heightened with two defence levels and the buttresses were connected by arches, in order to build a machicoulis gallery behind them. The ensemble was strengthened by a surrounding wall in 1502, completed by a gate building and an adjoining bacon Chamber on the north-west side . The tower was heightened in 1827 and received its striking pyramidal roof. At the same time its defence systems together with the defence level of the chancel were removed . The typical western gable of the church was erected in the same time with the renewal of the roof in 1854. Inside the church the mainly 18th-century furniture is still preserved.
Tradition has it that a church in homage to Saint Caprais was built at the beginning of the 5th century by Bishop Saint Dulcid who allegedly transported the relics of the martyrs there. A basilica dedicated to Saint Caprais probably existed in 580. After being cleared again in December 1561, during the Wars of Religion, the collegiate church of Saint-Caprais became a fodder store in 1791 before being reopened in 1796 and becoming the official cathedral of Agen, after the destruction of the old Saint-Étienne cathedral during the Revolution. It was elevated to the rank of a cathedral in 1802.
The connected island of Agios Ahillios is a site steeped in history. Indeed, in the 10th century, this islet was one of the centres of Bulgarian imperial power, at which time it preserves the massive ruins of the Basilica of St. Achilles. South of the site are still several other churches and monasteries.
The Agios Eleftherios church was built in the early 13th century. This date, however, is the subject of debate, some historians claiming that the church could be older (twelfth, eleventh, even eight centuries). This Byzantine temple was built on the ruins of an ancient temple dedicated to the worship of Eileithyia.
The Agios Georgios church in Athens is a nineteenth-century reconstruction of a medieval temple. The Greek-Byzantine style of the temple is typical of the reign of Otto I (1832-1862) during which the temple was rebuilt after being destroyed during the Revolution of 1821.