A primitive cathedral was built in the 5th century, then a Romanesque cathedral. In 1248, Hugues de la Tour, then bishop, began work on a new Gothic cathedral under the direction of architect Jean Deschamps. The church also underwent changes, particularly in the middle of the 14th century with the architect Pierre Juglar de Cébazat. On the projects of Viollet-le-Duc, the Romanesque façade was demolished and rebuilt with arrows in a neo-Gothic style in 1884.
Originally a simple chapel, the building site of the church extended over several centuries, as it was stopped several times due to lack of financial means but also because of the Hundred Years War. The building started around 1304 and was completed in 1566.
The church once belonged to a priory complex whose buildings extended to the north of the church. It was one of the most important priories of Mozac Abbey.