Cathedral of the Epiphany

The Cathedral of the Epiphany is an Orthodox church which is part of the complex of the former Monastery of the Epiphany, an architectural monument of the 18th century. In 1761, the monks began the construction of the present cathedral, made of stone. The cathedral was consecrated on 5 August 1777. Three fragments of frescoes from the second half of the 18th century have been preserved. In the cathedral was the famous list of the miraculous Iberian Icon of the Mother of God, whose paternity was attributed to the Evangelist Luke.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture

Visitors information

  • Parking within 250m
  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Александр Липилин

St. Sophia Cathedral

St. Sophia Cathedral was built between 1030 and 1060 as a replica of the St. Sophia Cathedrals of Novgorod and Kyiv. The church was closed during the Great Northern War (1700-1721) and fell into ruins afterwards. It was rebuilt in the 1740s in late Baroque style according to the plans of the German-Baltic architect Johann Christoph Glaubitz. The Soviets closed the cathedral in 1949 and used it as an archive warehouse. It was restored in 1967 to become a museum of atheism. Today the cathedral is used as a concert hall.

Wikimedia Commons/Dzivactva

St. Paraskieva Church

St. Paraskieva Church is an Orthodox church built in 1841-44 on the site of an old church erected at the time of the foundation of the town at the end of the 16th century. The church consists of a low rectangular porch under a gabled roof, a higher nave with a one-storey quadrangular bell tower, a rectangular prayer hall under a gabled roof.