Cathedral of the Theotokos

The Church of the Blessed Mother of God, the Orthodox Cathedral of Vilnius, was built in 1346. Throughout its history, the building has been regularly restored, the last renovation having taken place between 1980 and 1998.

About this building

Other nearby buildings

Church of St. Anne

The Church of St. Anne, more commonly known as the Bernardine Church of Vilnius, belongs to the Bernardine monks. A first small wooden church burned in 1475 gave way to a brick church built in the early sixteenth century. It is now the largest gothic religious building in Vilnius.

Church of St. Johns

The Church of St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist, or Church of St. Johns, is a late Baroque church. A wooden church was built on the market square as early as 1387, but it was replaced by a Gothic stone church with three naves, which was consecrated in 1427. In 1571, the church was entrusted to the Polish Jesuits by King Sigismund Augustus, who completely transformed it in the Renaissance style. A bell tower was erected at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries, then chapels, crypts, etc. were added. After a fire in 1737, the façade was redecorated in the Jesuit style, notably by Johann Christoph Glaubitz. The interior was redesigned in 1825-1829 and the façade was completely rebuilt with columns of the neo-classical Corinthian order. The church now serves as a church for the University of Vilnius.

Vilnius Cathedral

The current building of Cathedral Basilica of St Stanislaus and St Ladislaus of Vilnius (or just Vilnius Cathedral) dates from 1783. Throughout the 13th century, the site of the church was disputed between the Catholic Church and the ancient Baltic paganists that owned a temple there. A church was permanently installed in 1387.