Chiesa di San Michele

The Church of the Blessed Sacrament and St. Michael the Archangel, known as the Church of San Michele, dates back to the 18th century when it was built together with a monastery, completed in 1706. Following the eruption of Vesuvius in 1794, half of the church was buried by lava, while the monastery was almost completely destroyed. In 1803, the Congrega del Santissimo Sacramento e San Michele Arcangelo bought and restored the church in 1804.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture

Visitors information

  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Fraque nero

Basilica di Santa Croce

The Basilica Pontificia di Santa Croce was built at the beginning of the 16th century and houses the remains of St. Vincenzo Romano, parish priest of Santa Croce from 1795 to 1831, who gave the present form to the imposing structure rebuilt after the almost total destruction of the city by the eruption of Vesuvius on 15 June 1794. The church was built to replace the ancient mother church of the town, of medieval origin, dedicated to Santa Maria Maggiore and called Santa Maria dell'Ospedale because of a small hospice for the sick and pilgrims located next to the old church.

Wikimedia Commons/Baku

Chiesa di Sant'Anna alle Paludi

The church of Sant'Anna alle Paludi dates back to the 14th century when it was built by the University of Hortolani, although very few traces of the original structure remain, mainly due to the renovations of the 18th-19th and early 20th centuries. The church has a single nave designed according to the original 18th-century plan. The simple, linear lines only become beautiful neo-baroque in the decoration of the dome, which remains the only completed part of the church, according to the design of the architect Alfredo Belli from the late 19th century.

Wikimedia Commons/Maurizio rea

Basilica sanctuary of Santa Maria del Carmine Maggiore

Santa Maria del Carmine Maggiore is one of the largest basilicas in Naples and a fine example of Neapolitan Baroque style. The church was founded in the 13th century by Carmelite friars who had been expelled from the Holy Land during the Crusades, and who probably arrived in the Bay of Naples on Amalfi ships. The present facade dates from 1766 and was designed by Giovanni del Gaizo to replace the old one, which had been ruined by lightning and above all by the earthquake of 1456. Although it was built at the same time as the church, the bell tower is first mentioned in 1439. It was damaged and rebuilt several times and took on its present appearance in the first half of the 17th century.