Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli

The church of Santa Maria degli Angeli was built in the second half of the 17th century. The church was entrusted in 1662 to the confraternity of the same name. The simple façade, finished with a low gable, has two gabled entrance portals. In the centre is a large maiolica panel depicting the Madonna of the Angels with the lighthouse of the island of Sant'Andrea and the rocks of Campo and Piccioni in the background.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments

Visitors information

  • On street parking at the building
  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Lupiae

Chiesa del Santissimo Crocifisso

The Church of the Santissimo Crocifisso, seat of the brotherhood of the same name, was built in 1750 on land belonging to the Dominican fathers and purchased by the brotherhood in 1741. It was designed by Carlo Multò, an artillery captain serving at the Royal Castle of Gallipoli, and built by Ortensio Preite, a master craftsman from Cupertino.

Wikimedia Commons/Pufui PcPifpef

Chiesa di San Domenico al Rosario

The church of San Domenico al Rosario, annexed to the former Dominican convent, was built in 1696. Designed by the master Valerio Margoleo of Martano, it stands on the remains of a pre-existing sacred building, of which some architectural elements remain. It is the seat of the historical Confraternity of the Rosary. The adjacent cloister of the monastery has frescoes depicting the Christian fleet at anchor in Gallipoli after the battle of Lepanto.

Wikimedia Commons/Palickap

Chiesa di San Francesco d'Assisi

The Church of St. Francis of Assisi is a Baroque building whose ancient core dates back to the 13th century. Subsequent alterations between the 17th and 18th centuries radically changed the structure, hiding the original medieval lines. The façade, built on two levels, was rebuilt in 1736 by Mauro Manieri.