Church of the Gesù

The Church of the Gesù is the mother church of the Society of Jesus. Built between 1568 and 1584, it was designed by a Florentine architect, Nanni di Baccio Bigio. In 1554 the project was reworked by Michelangelo and then by Vignola (1568). The construction of the church is considered an important turning point in the history of art, the whole of its design serving the cause of the Counter-Reformation.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Interior features
  • Links to national heritage
  • Famous people or stories

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m
  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Basilica di Santa Maria sopra Minerva

The Basilica Santa Maria Sopra Minerva is a 15th century basilica near the Pantheon. It is a rare example of Gothic architecture in Rome. It is in the contiguous convent of the church that, on June 22, 1633, Galileo Galilei, suspected of heresy, abjured his scientific theses.

Santa Maria in Aracoeli

The Basilica of Santa Maria in Aracoeli stands on the hill of the Campidoglio. The church, whose original name was Santa Maria in Capitolio, was part of the complex of buildings of a monastery that had settled on the Capitoline hill while the rest of the ancient Roman buildings was in ruins.

Sant'Ignazio di Loyola in Campo Marzio

The Baroque church of St. Ignatius stands on the square of the same name and was built by Cardinal Ludovisi in 1626 in honor of St. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus. The church was built next to the Collegio Romano Palace and replaced the church of S. Maria Annunziata from the 16th century. The church houses the tomb of Pope Gregory XV.