Church of the Holy Spirit

The Church of the Holy Spirit was built in 1916 by the soldiers of the Isonzo front, during the First World War. It was designed by the Viennese architect, then Archbishop Remigius Geyling, a friend of Gustav Klimt. It is dedicated to the fallen soldiers of the First World War, regardless of their origins and culture, as evidenced by the inscription Ultra cineres hostium ira non superest (Do not hate beyond the ashes of the dead).

About this building

Key Features

  • Monuments

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Sl-Ziga

Church of St. Duha

The church of St. Duha stands on the southern shore of Lake Bohinj. The church and the bell tower were built in the Baroque style in 1743. The interior of the church was whitewashed during the renovation in 1981, although 12 frescoes were discovered there. On the external facade, on the east side of the presbytery, there is a large fresco of St. Christopher. The church has two bells.

Church of St. John the Baptist

The Church of St. John the Baptist stands has been standing on the south-eastern shore of Lake Bohinj since at least 1300. The church contains frescoes by Jernej of Loka, a 16th-century painter active in the Škofja Loka region. The bell tower has an old mechanical clock.

Wikimedia Commons/T137

Basilica of Mary of the Assumption

The Basilica of Mary of the Assumption is one of the most important pilgrimage sites in Slovenia. The basilica is the branch church of the parish of Solkan, but it also serves as the church of the Franciscan monastery of Sveta Gora. The church was first built in the first half of the 16th century after a pre-existing shrine of Mary was demolished by the Turks in 1496. Destroyed during the First World War, the present basilica was erected in its place between 1920 and 1932.