Church of Notre-Dame de la Dalbade

The church Notre-Dame de la Dalbade is located rue de la Dalbade in the district of the Carmes in Toulouse. It should not be confused with the basilica of the Daurade on the quay of the same name. Its current name comes from the old church which preceded it and which was covered with a white plaster (lime), giving it the name of Santa Maria dealbata (Sainte-Marie la blanche). The present building, rather austere on the outside, is typical of southern Gothic architecture. The first church stood from 541 to the end of the 15th century on the site of the first oratory. It was destroyed by fire on October 27, 1442 along with the rest of the district. In spite of its disappearance, the current name of the Dalbade (which derives from the dealbata) is preserved.

About this building

The construction of the present church would date from the end of the 15th century, around 1480. Its bell tower signed Nicolas Bachelier (author of the Hôtel d'Assézat and the Pont Neuf) was built in 1551. Symbol of ecclesiastical power, its spire, which was 87 m high, was dismantled in 1795. It was rebuilt in 1881, raised to 91 m, and marked the highest point of the city until 1926. This bell tower was comparable to that of the Cathedral of Sainte-Cécile d'Albi. It collapsed brutally in 1926, causing extensive damage to the surrounding houses. About thirty busts in bossage sculpted by Nicolas and his students are exhibited at the Musée des Augustins in Toulouse. The church, which looks like a medieval fortress with thick walls, narrow openings and a north tower with crenellations, has an Italian Renaissance-style tympanum on the façade, made of ceramics representing a copy of Fra Angelico's Coronation of the Virgin. This flamboyant decoration was made by Gaston Virebent in 18742. The Renaissance portal dates from 1537.

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments

Visitors information

  • Café within 500m
  • Space to secure your bike

Other nearby buildings

Par Didier Descouens — Travail personnel, CC BY-SA 4.0,

Notre-Dame de la Daurade

The Basilica of Notre-Dame la Daurade, was completely rebuilt at the end of the 18th century on the site of one of the oldest churches of Toulouse, which was probably the chapel of Visigothic kings. Seat of a Benedictine abbey, it was lined with mills until the end of the 14th century and overlooked the main bridge of Toulouse from the 12th to the 17th century, the bridge of the Daurade. It has been classified as a historical monument since 1963.

Wikimedia Commons

Church of Gésu

The church was built in the second half of the 19th century (from 1855) by the architect Henry Bach for the Jesuits. In neo-gothic style, painted and richly decorated, stained glass windows by L. V Gesta. The organ built in 1864 and classified as a Historic Monument in 1972 is a masterpiece of the famous organ builder Cavaillé-Coll.

Juliette Delanneau

Chapel of Saint-Jean-Baptiste

The Saint-Jean-Baptiste Chapel is a legacy of the "Confrérie toulousaine des Pénitents Gris", dating back to 11th April 1577. After the dissolution of the latter during the Revolution, the Brotherhood bought a piece of land in 1825 and the new chapel was blessed on August 7, 1827. It adopts an internal and external architecture as simple as it is intimate, and still continues to receive worship there thanks to the priests of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest.