About this building
The Church of Saint-Avit is located in Saint-Avit-de-Tardes, in the region of New Aquitaine. It was built on an overhang that dominates the valley of Tardes, and is bordered by the cemetery and the former sixteenth century priory, that is formed of two main building, attached to the north of the church. The patronage of this church belonged to the Bishop of Limoge.
The church, a grand building, was built at the end of the thirteenth century, and has a single nave, that consists of three vaulted bays, the last of which forms the choir with a straight cheet. A vaulted chapel was added in 1864 on the south side. The building was coated in rubble and fortified in the 14th-15th century. Remnants of the defensive system are still visible in the eastern gable: rectangular openings that lead to the walkway, holes and loopholes.
The bell tower-wall of the west facade has a triangular pediment surmounted by two broken bays containing the bells. A bas-relief is carved above these bays in a niche-like frame, depicting a Bishop performing a blessing. A typical doorway of the Creuse, with a hollowed tympanum, leads to a flight of steps that is sheltered by an awning, supported by two columns with octagonal bases. At the foot of the northern gutter there is a fragment of Gallo-Roman monument with an inscription.
Inside, among the furniture the front of the high altar is garnished with seventeenth century repousse leather with red and green patterns of flowers and fruits, with the paint harmoniously mixing with the gilding.