Church of Saint-Vincent-de-Paul

The first stone was laid in 1824. The realization was entrusted to Jean-Baptiste Lepère and taken over in 1831 by his genus Jean-Ignace Hittorf. The work was slowed down by the Revolution of 1830 but the church was finally consecrated in 1844. The Chapel of the Virgin Mary was built between 1869 and 1870. It was Napoleon III who offered the sculpture of the Virgin Mary made by Carrier-Belleuse.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments
  • Interior features
  • Atmosphere / quiet space
  • Social heritage
  • Famous people or stories

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Mbzt

Church of Saint-Laurent

According to Saint Gregory of Tours, the church was built on the traces of an ancient road. Indeed, it seems that the base of the bell tower is the oldest vestige. The choir was consecrated in 1429 and six chapels may have been added in 1548. In 1621, the priest Pierre d'Hardivilliers signed a contract for the erection of a gate and, undoubtedly, the completion of the northern collateral. The chapels on the south side were built in 1645, at the same time as a mass grave (cemetery). The vault and roof structure were completed between 1655 and 1660 and the parish was built at the beginning of the 18th century. The breakthrough of the Boulevard de Magenta decided by Haussman led to the destruction of the 17th century gate. When Boulevard Magenta was opened, the church was enlarged by a span and Simon-Claude Constant-Dufeu, applying the principles of unity of style of Viollet-le-Duc, and at the Empress's request, built the current neo-Gothic façade between 1862 and 1865. The entrance span and the spire that covers it were built in 1870.

Wikimedia Commons/Pline

Church of Notre-Dame-de-Lorette

The church was built as part of a competition organised by the Bishopric of Paris in 1823, with the agreement of the City of Paris. It was won by Hippolyte Lebas. The work took place from 1824 to 1836. The church was consecrated on December 15, 1836 by Monsignor de Quélen. The area known as the Porcherons had begun to be populated at the end of the Ancien Régime. It was then attached to the parish of Saint-Pierre-de-Montmartre. Notre-Dame-de-Lorette is one of the 39 parishes that were instituted by Bishop de Belloy in 1802, but the faithful had to be content with a temporary church until 1823 before the construction of the present building.