Sant'Onofrio al Gianicolo is a 15th-century convent church complex. The building, with a single nave and two chapels on each side, was completed in the 16th century and contains several paintings and sculptures from the 17th century. The small cloister of the convent is perhaps the oldest part of the complex, it also has a porticoed gallery on the upper floor.
The Basilica of St. Peter, is the largest Christian church on the planet and considered one of the most sacred places of Catholicism. Churches have been built on the site of the basilica since the fourth century. The construction of the current building began on April 18, 1506, under Pope Julius II, and was completed on November 18, 1626. The building is the work of some of the most renowned architects in history, such as Donato Bramante, Miguel Ángel or Bernini.
St. Peter is traditionally the site of the papal coronation, but it was also, under the impetus of Charlemagne in 800, the coronation church of the first Holy Roman Emperors.
The church of San Lorenzo in Piscibus was probably founded as early as the 6th century, but the first verifiable mention of the church dates back to the end of the 12th century. In 1663, the entire complex was entrusted to the Piarists who, in 1672, had the church radically restored in Baroque style under the direction of Francesco Massari. In 1731 the convent was demolished and rebuilt in 1773 according to the design of Giovanni Domenico Navone, who also designed a new façade for the church. When the Via della Conciliazione was built, the church was not demolished (only the baroque façade and the atrium were demolished) and was integrated into the modern buildings on the left side of Piazza Pio XII.