St Patrick's Chapel

Found on top of Croagh Patrick Mountain, also known as the Reek, this Calvary church has stunning views over the surrounding landscape. The mountain itself has both a Pagan and Christian history, and is climbed by pilgrims each year on Reek Sunday (the last Sunday in July).

About this building

In 1905, a small church was built on top of the Croagh Patrick, the Hill of Patrick – Ireland- by the local population. It is believed that there has been a chapel or place of worship on the site since the 5th century.

Besides the small church, which celebrates the mass every Reek Sunday since 1905, the mountain itself is considered holy by both the Christian and the pagan tradition, as it was originally used to celebrate the pagan festivals of the summer solstice and the harvest festival of Lughnasadh (Halloween).

On the last Sunday in July, thousands of pilgrims climb Croagh Patrick in honour of Saint Patrick who, according to tradition, fasted and prayed on the summit for forty days in the year 441. 

Key Features

  • Atmosphere / quiet space
  • Wildlife

Regular events

  • Reek Sunday Pilgrimage (last Sunday of July). A pilgrimage to the top of the mountain in remembrance of St Patrick.

Other nearby buildings

Roman Catholic Church Of The Holy Rosary, Castlebar

At the instigation of Archbishop John McHale, Archbishop of Tuam, a new church was started in 1876, to a design by J.J. O???Callaghan. Much of the funding for the project came from the diaspora in the USA. This church was on a higher site opposite the original church. Progress slowed when the parish priest Canon James Magee died in 1885. His successor, Canon Patrick Lyons, demolished the half-completed church in 1891, much to the consternation of parishioners and donors, and built the present church alongside the old St Mary???s church. The present church, designed by Dublin architect, Walter G. Doolin , was started in 1897 and opened in 1901, dedicated to Our Lady of the Holy Rosary. James Pearse, the English father of Padraig Pearse, made the marble altar, and the stained glass was by Meyer of Munich, Germany. The large, five-lancet window over the altar, features images depicting scenes from the fifteen mysteries of the rosary, and was presented by the Archbishop of Tuam, Dr. John McEvilly.

Wikimedia Commons/Andreas F. Borchert

St Muredach's Cathedral

St Muredach's Cathedral is the Catholic cathedral of Ballina. The cathedral was built in the Gothic Revival style between 1825 and 1834. The spire was completed in 1855 to the design of architect James Joseph McCarthy and further development continued throughout the 19th century.

Wikimedia Commons/Andreas F. Borchert

St Patrick's Cathedral

St Patrick's Cathedral is the Anglican cathedral of Killala and is one of the smallest cathedrals in Ireland. The present building was constructed in the 1670s, using rubble and stone from the medieval cathedral. The tower, spire and vestry were added to the building in 1817 by the architect James Paine.