Duomo di Rovigo

The cathedral of Rovigo was built from 1696 to 1791 on top of an old church from the 11th century. In 1711, the demolition of the old cathedral was completed and in 1729, only the dome and the façade were missing. The dome was not completed until 1791 by Giacomo Quaglia da Tresto. The facade was to be built much further forward than the previous one, so that the new building would be located close to the baptistery, which made the traffic between the Porta Arquà and the square uncomfortable. The demolition of the baptistery, already planned, was completed in 1737. However, a solution for the façade was never found. In fact, the only interventions on the façade were limited to the portal, built in 1833.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments

Visitors information

  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Threecharlie

Chiesa dei Santi Francesco e Giustina

The church of Santi Francesco e Giustina was built between the end of the 13th and the beginning of the 14th century to meet the religious needs of the adjacent Franciscan monastery, which has now disappeared. The original building, of Gothic design, underwent important renovations which, after having been considerably enlarged, also changed the position of the facade, now in neoclassical style, which characterises its current appearance. The first body of the Church of St. Francis was built between 1297 and 1300 in the Gothic style, with a single nave, five apsidal chapels and a facade overlooking the present-day Via Silvestri. In 1413, the church was enlarged with a nave on the right side with five communicating chapels. The bell tower was built in 1520 and the central apse was further extended in 1533.


Adria Cathedral

The Cathedral of Adria, dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul, was built at the beginning of the 19th century from a pre-existing 14th century building. The cathedral houses frescoes, a bas-relief dating back to the 6th century and beautiful cupboards sculpted by Jacopo Piazzetta.

Mike Peel / CC-BY-SA-4.0

Chiesa di San Francesco

The church of San Francesco was built in 1494 on a pre-existing Franciscan building. The former building had been used until the beginning of the 15th century as a mausoleum for the Este family before Niccolò III d'Este decided to build the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli. The project is one of Biagio Rossetti's best achievements. The façade and basilica are in typical Renaissance style, with volutes inspired by Leon Battista Alberti and marble pilasters standing out against the terracotta walls.