About this building
The Cathedral of the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God, the Orthodox Cathedral of the Diocese of Plovdiv, is a landmark of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, being at the centre of its independence in 1870. At the place where the cathedral was built in 1844, it seems that in the 9th and 10th centuries there was a Christian shrine.
St Constantine and Helena is an Orthodox church of Plovdiv built in 1832 on the site of an older church of the fourth century. In 1810, the building was found half buried and was completely rebuilt and sanctified on October 30, 1832. The St Constantine and Helena church is a listed cultural monument since 1954. It was completely restored in 1978-1989.
A now broken slabe used to be above the enrance of the mosque, and it reads that may Allah accept this act of benevolence (refering to the construction of the mosque). The numerical value of the phrase is 848, corresponding to the date of the foundation of the mosque in the Islamic calendar.