The monastery of Eldena was founded around 1200 as a daughter house of the Danish monastery Esrom and supported by the prince of Rügen Jaromar. The oldest parts of the former monastery church date back to the beginning of the 13th century. The buildings were looted during the Thirty Years' War, fell into ruins and were used as a quarry. Their preservation only began in the 19th century.
About this building
For more information visit on this building visit www.eurob.org/item/greifswald_eldena/?lang=en