About this building
The Church of St. Nicholas was consecrated in 1878 by the stationary Russian army, which turned old Turkish houses into its chapel. On this chapel, a new church was built from 1923 to 1926, with the two side towers erected with the bell tower and the central dome, and new wall paintings added.
St. George's is a Bulgarian Orthodox church first mentioned in 1720 and demolished in the second half of the 18th century, as well as in 1820. The modern church building was constructed in 1834-1835. After independence, in 1881, a major restoration of the roof and interior began.
The present building of St Demetrius' Cathedral in Sliven was built from 1831 to 1834 on a former wooden church site. In 1966 the church was declared a cultural monument of local importance. In the spring of 1971, the National Institute of Cultural Monuments undertook the restoration and conservation of the iconostasis.