The sanctuary of the Sacro Monte di Ossuccio was essentially completed in 1537, but its high bell tower was completed later in 1719. It stands on the Sacro Monte di Ossuccio, a sacred site dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of the Savior and part of the group of nine Sacred Mounts of Piedmont and Lombardy inscribed in 2003 by UNESCO on the World Heritage List.
The Church of the Resurrection was built between 1653 and 1656 on a former church building. The choir and the lower part of the tower were incorporated from a predecessor building in the late Gothic style. The nave, the south porch and the upper part of the tower were newly built. A complete renovation took place in 1867.
The construction of the provost church of St. Peter and Andre began shortly after the foundation of Brilon, between 1220 and 1250. The three-bay late Romanesque hall church has a transept and a two-bay right choir, both built in the 14th century. The powerful early Gothic west tower was erected after the completion of the nave. Much of the interior was renovated between 1770 and 1776. The last major renovation of the exterior and roof took place between 1967 and 1970 under the direction of the architect H. Stiegemann.
Since Easter 1927, the parish of Muhlhausen has taken over the pastoral care for Schlotheim and the wide environment. There was no church of its own. The divine services were held in the hall of the Ratskeller. From 1945 onwards, the expulsion resulted from the II. World War II many Catholics in the area and Schlotheim got his own pastor. In order to do justice to the situation, the divine services were transferred to the Protestant Church. After long and exhausting efforts, it was not until 1978/79 that a separate church with parish apartment and community rooms could be built, which was built on the 4th. November 1979 by Bishop Hugo Aufderbeck. By today's standards, the church complex is a modern building that is very accommodating to today's pastoral care. The large area has a park-like character. In 2008, the parish of Schlotheim was dissolved and the parish of St. Marien Bad Langensalza assigned. Until 2010, a pastor lived on site. Since 1.1.2017 Schlotheim has been a church place of the parish of St. Josef Muhlhausen. The church is dedicated to St. Bonifatius, who as a missionary brought the Christian faith to Thuringia.
The Nikolai Church was built between 1772 and 1782 on a former medieval church that had become too small. The church could be used for services from 1782 onwards, but the interior work continued until 1798. Although the church did not belong to the adjacent monastery and was not owned by the minorities, the Hessian Landgrave's ministry ordered the closure of the monastery and the church as part of the secularisation process on 11 October 1803. It was not until 1968 that the church became the property of the parish. Between 1976 and 1979, the church was completely restored.
Brauweiler Abbey is a former Benedictine abbey, founded in the 11th century by Poppo de Stavelot (977 - 1048) on the orders of the Count Palatine of Lotharingia Ezzo (955 - 1034). The monastery was dissolved during secularization in 1802. The monastery then had many uses as a labour and correctional institution, Gestapo prison and psychiatric clinic. It was not until 1988 that the former monastery became the present cultural and service centre of the LVR. Brauweiler Abbey is one of the largest Romanesque church buildings in the Rhineland.
The Protestant town church was built in 1855-56 by the master-builder F. A. Ritter after a design by the Berlin master builder Karl Friedrich Schinkel for the Preußische Normalkirche. The building is a four-axis hall in ashlar construction with a recessed apse. On the west gallery, there is a late romantic organ with a neo-Renaissance prospectus. It was built in 1902 by Eduard Vogt from Korbach.
The Valère Basilica, whose first church was erected in the 12th century, is a major architectural work that harmoniously combines the Romanesque and Gothic styles. Since 1987, the entire Valère site has undergone numerous restorations. The organ of the basilica, probably built between 1435 and 1437, is the oldest playable organ in the world.
The cathedral of Sion dates from the 7th century. The first cathedral burned down in 1010 and a second cathedral was built in the Romanesque style. The present cathedral was only built at the end of the turn between the 15th and 16th centuries, however, the 12th century Romanesque bell-tower-porch has been preserved.
The church of St John the Baptist was built in the 9th century. The church was originally a Romanesque hall church with a rectangular choir and a semi-circular apse. The first extension of the church was made in the 13th century to the north of the choir as a sacristy building. In 1903, the church was enlarged and westernised: a transept and a neo-Gothic choir were added to the west and the old choir to the east was transformed into an entrance. In addition, a tower was added to the old choir in the east.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut