This collegiate church is one of the largest churches in Ile-de-France. Its construction began in the 12th century. Since 1947 it has been the subject of several restorations, while remaining open to worship and visits. This church is one of the richest in heritage in the entire region.
Built on the ruins of a Romanesque church, attached to the medieval city walls, the oldest parts preserved date from around 1200. Today the church of Saint-Médard is the result of an astonishing juxtaposition of architectures, styles and periods. Inside, the church conceals several treasures including a painting by Laurent de La Hyre.
This small chapel is located in the village of Barbizon, famous for being the village of inspiration for several pre-impressionist paintings in France. It was consecrated as a chapel in 1903, when the commune was created.
The Saint-Martin church was built in the 12th century in Heilles and is surrounded by the old parish cemetery. The church, which is dedicated to St. Martin of Tours follows a cruciform plan. It consists of a Gothic porch opening to the west entrance, a single Romanesque nave (12th century), an overflowing transept whose cross serves as a base for the bell tower and a choir (13th century) composed of a very short span and a seven-sided apse.
The Chapel of Saint-Jacques and Saint-Christophe d'Auvillers is located in Neuilly-sous-Clermont. The chapel, has pre-Romanesque features, such as a single nave opening onto a flat chevet choir, that was later rebuilt in a primitive Gothic style. It is surmounted by a stone belfry with an octagonal slate spire. The chapel housed a white Carrara marble bas-relief: "The Madonna of Auvillers" by Augustine said Duccio (fifteenth century), that has now been replaced by a copy after the original was moved to the Louvre.
This impressive church was built in 1611, is relatively recent, and its architectural style makes you feel it. Indeed, the façade was redesigned during the Second Empire. It was Marie de Medici who asked Claude Martin to build the church.
This magnificent chapel was built by the architect Philippe Delorme in the 16th century. It is the royal chapel of the Château de Fontainebleau. The interior walls are covered with impressive paintings made under Henri IV. Under Napoleon I, in 1807, it became the library of the castle. This is the function it retained until 1851.
The Church of Saint-Christophe is located in Mondreville, in Île-de-France. It displays the harmonious coexistence of Romanesque elements in the nave and the Gothic style in the choir and carved 16th century decorations on the nave frame. The building, topped with a small bell tower with an octagonal spire, is endowed with a rich movable heritage such as a statue of the Virgin and Child, from the 15th century.
The Church of Saint-Pierre-et-Saint-Michel of Séry-Magneval, in the Hauts-de-France region was built around 1200. The church is surprising because of its slender character, a characteristic that is rare for a church of such limited dimensions. It consists of a Romanesque nave that was exalted at the end of the sixteenth century, a transept and a choir that was built at the beginning of the thirteenth century in the Gothic style. The church retains traces of painted decorations of the twelfth, thirteenth, sixteenth and eighteenth centuries.
The church was partly built in the 13th century in a radiant Gothic style: 1250 marks the beginning of the construction of the nave; 1270 to 1280, the transept and choir as well as the right span and side chapels, and finally the transept crossing at the end of the 13th century.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut