Freiburg Minster was built between 1200 and 1513. The building was started in Romanesque style and completed mainly in Gothic and late Gothic style. Since Freiburg became an episcopal see in 1827, the church is officially a cathedral today. For the beauty of its tower, the cathedral is often compared to the cathedrals of the neighbouring cities of Basel and Strasbourg.
St. Mary's Cathedral, commonly known as Freising Cathedral, is a Romanesque basilica completed in the 13th century. The Rococo style interior decoration was added in 1724 by Cosmas Damian Asam and Egid Quirin Asam.
The origins are uncertain, but the building dates back to the 10th century. The Cathedral bears the traces of several periods of modifications, such as the cloister and the bell tower of the 13th century, .
Cloister dating from the 13th century.
The French cathedral was built in the years 1780-1785 by Carl von Gontard in the Baroque style. The building was constructed at the instigation of Frederick II (1740-1772), who also ordered the construction of the German Cathedral (opposite the French Cathedral) as part of an extensive redevelopment project of the Gendarmenmarkt. Burned down during the Second World War, the French Cathedral was rebuilt in 1978-1983, true to the original exterior and modern interior. Since then, it has housed the Huguenot Museum.
The Fresvik church is a long church from 1881, erected by the builder A.A. Åse according to the plans of the architect Henrik Nissen. At the place where the church is located, there used to be a 12th-century stave church which was demolished to make way for the new church.
Friburg Cathedral, in radiant Gothic style, was built between 1283 and 1490 and was founded as a parish church dedicated to St. Nicholas. It became a collegiate church at the beginning of the 16th century and did not become a cathedral until 1924. The tower of the church, an emblematic monument of the city, was built from 1370 to 1490.
Fridalen church is a brick church completed in 1985. The architects of the church are J.L.Andersen and K.H.Irgens.
The Fridolinsmünster was founded as a collegiate church of the Säckingen women's convent. The convent church was built in Romanesque style, then rebuilt in Gothic style after a fire in the 14th century and renovated in the 17th and 18th centuries with elements of Baroque style. Today it is the main church of the Catholic community of Bad Säckingen.
The Friedenskirche was built between 1743 and 1751 at the request of Prince Wilhelm Heinrich for the newly admitted reformed community of Saarbrücken. The prince's mother, who died in 1738, had belonged to the Reformed Confession. After being secularised for almost a century, the Old Catholic Church acquired the building in 1892. Largely destroyed in an air raid during the Second World War, the church was rebuilt from 1961 to 1966 and the church was consecrated in 1967. Until 2014, the new church was used simultaneously by the Old Catholics and the Russian Orthodox community. On one narrow side of the great hall was the altar of the Old-Catholic community, on the opposite side the iconostasis of the Russian Orthodox community.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut