The Church of the Assumption was built in 1863. It was built in the spirit of Romanticism, very much inspired by ancient Serbian monasteries, mainly from the Ravanica Monastery. Initially, it served as a military church because it was located near military installations.
The Church of St. Mark of Tasmajdan was built between 1931 and 1940, in the immediate vicinity of an old church from 1835. It was designed in the spirit of the architecture of the serbo-Byzantine style, inspired by the church from the Gracanica monastery. It was the largest orthodox church in pre-war Yugoslavia.
Nikšić Cathedral dates from the end of the 19th century. When the Diocese of Zahumlje-Raska was established in 1878, the decision was made to have its centre at Nikšić. During the construction of the cathedral from 1895 to 1900, the first bishop of Zahumlje-Raska, Visarion Ljubiša (1878-1882), stayed temporarily in the nearby Ostrog monastery. The cathedral was designed by the Russian architect Mikhail Timofeevich Preobrazhensky.
Mažići Monastery was founded in the 12th century. The monastery complex was demolished and rebuilt several times, but it was definitively abandoned at the beginning of the 18th century. At the beginning of the 21st century, the monastery church was renovated, while the renovation of the entire complex is still in progress. During archaeological excavations of the complex, prehistoric burial mounds from the Bronze Age, Roman tombs and a necropolis (from the 9th and 10th centuries) around it were discovered.
The Church of the Holy Father Nikolai, or better known as the Nikolajevska Church, was built between 1745 and 1870 on the foundations of a Serbian church of the 16th century.
Jarrow has a very long and distinguished history. It was one of the first places to be invaded by the Vikings, who eventually colonised the North East. It was also the home of the Venerable Bede, a scholar, monk and writer, known as the Father of English History.
The St. Sava Temple in Belgrade is the largest Orthodox temple in the Balkans. It was erected on the relics of Saint Sava, the founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church. The construction of the temple began in 1939 and is still in progress.
The Church of Our Lady of the Rocks is not situated in a lake but in a bay connected to the Adriatic Sea. It was first built in the 15th century by Orthodox monks, along with the artificial island it stands on. Today's church was built by the Venetians in 1630. With its reconstruction, the church went from Orthodoxy to Roman Catholicism.
The Cathedral of Castellón de la Plana is a place of worship in Valencian Gothic style with historicist and neo-Gothic additions. The old Gothic church from the 14th century was destroyed in 1936, leaving only the three entrance portals and some constructive and ornamental elements. The oldest portal is the one overlooking Calle Arcipreste Balaguer, which, according to documentation, dates from 1382 and is the work of Guillem Coll.
The Church of St. Sava was built between 1940 and 1966. The foundation stone of the church was solemnly laid by the Patriarch of His Holiness Gavrilo V on 22 September 1940. In April 1941, when the Second World War reached the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, the church was almost completely finished. In the first days of the war, the Church of St. Sava was severely destroyed. After the war, the church was restored and completed in 1966. The church was also badly damaged in the great earthquake of 1979. The first restoration took place in 1995 and the second in 2005.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut