A romaneque church from the 12th century, the place of worship has an almost square choir, a semi-circular apse and a rectangular nave. The vault is inlaid with original ceramic pots to improve the acoustics.
The church in Valjala is the oldest preserved stone church in Estonia. It was built from 1227, at the time of the Livonia Crusades (13th century). In the third quarter of the 13th century, the small church of that time was transformed into a fortified church. The defensive church contains both Romanesque and Gothic elements. In 1922, thunderstruck the church and burnt the baroque helmet of the tower.
During the 12th century, a wooden church was built on the site where the current building stands. The building was replaced by a Romanesque church. Only the portals of that church have been preserved. During the 13th and 14th century, the church was reconstructed into a Gothic style building. Since then, only a few alterations have been made. In the Middle Ages, the church was one of the three asylum churches in Gotland. These buildings were places where suspected criminals could find refuge while they awaited their trial.
The Nemėžis Mosque is a Tartar mosque first built in 1684. The present mosque, built in 1909, suffered much neglect during the Soviet era. In 1978 the mosque was returned to the Muslim community and from 1993 it was repaired.
The Sainte-Barbara church dates back to the 15th century but its architecture was strongly modified during its reconstruction in the years 1726-1728.
St. Bridget's Church was built first in 1396 in a Gothic style. During the Second World War, the church was burned down and reconstruction was not completed until 1973. After the communist regime, it became a sanctuary, having served as a refuge for the Solidarity Movement's activists.
St. John's seems to have been built from 1377 until the middle of the 15th century. Destroyed during the Second World War, the church was left as it was and served as a backdrop for war films. It was from the 60s that the reconstruction of the church began, allowing it to be used again for worship in the 90s.
St. Katarzyna is the oldest church of Gdańsk, founded in the years 1227-1239. In the years 1555-1945 it was given to the Protestants, the religion of the German majority of the city during those years.
Oliwa Cathedral, the cathedral of Gdansk, is a Polish Historical Monument. Built in the late 16th century, it has been extensively furbished in a Baroque style, notably its portal (1688).
St. Mary's Basilica served as a Catholic and Protestant church (in 1572-1945). Built in the years 1346-1502, the church is an example of brick Gothic (typical of the Baltic basin) and is one of the largest temples in the world built in bricks.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut